What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall strips

Low n Slow

Well Known Member
I just saw an article in the July issue of Plane&Pilot magazine about the fastest piston production plane, the Mooney Acclaim Type S. The first page has a photo showing 2 (approx 1 foot long) stall strips on each wing.

The photo reminded me that those same type strips were on the 1942 T-Craft L2 I soloed in. Given that such an ?ancient?, tried and true method of increasing the stall warning is being used on the fastest certified airplane, why not on a RV-4?

Our RV has very little buffeting before the break so considering the minimal weight and drag impacts, I don?t see a down side. Does anyone know Van?s opinion or has anyone experimented with them?

Don't think those stall strips are there to help provide early warning. They're there to make sure the outer portion of the wing where the ailerons are stalls last .
tm

Don't think those stall strips are there to help provide early warning. They're there to make sure the outer portion of the wing where the ailerons are stalls last .
tm
I Agree, it makes the inner portion stall first, but I thought that the sharp edge also created buffeting.

Not sure about that but what do I know? :)
I did a little testing with a stall strip on my RV3, always had a wing that stalled first regardless of fuel distribution.
Put a little stall strip on the other wing and voila all was well. The process was a great learning experince and will document if anyone is interested. Not rocket science.
tm

Back