What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Horn Volume setting Dynon with Garmin radio

OK - maybe this is a stupid question but my stall horn is way too loud and I can't seem to find the volume control for it in the Skyview or Garmin settings (or manuals). (did my first flight yesterday and felt like taking off the headset for the stalls it's so bad - cockpit quieter)

The Vans info says it's set in the Garmin for the Aux 1 input but I don't have an Aux 1 input that I can find. Vans suggested I call Dynon or Garmin but figure I'm not the first one to notice this in this crowd.

What am I overlooking?

Thanks!

Appreciate the comment but the stall horn is independent of the AOA - tried adjusting that one, stall still blazes in at ear piercing level no matter what setting the AOA is set to.

In a legacy 12 with a Dynon D-180, the stall warning volume is adjusted by a potentiometer found on the back side of the AV Control Board 12. It is found behind a circular hole and labeled “STL W”. Don't know if your build has something similar. Mine was found using the section 42 Avionics instructions.

The stall warning is wired to the Aux 1 input on the GTR-200. See the GTR Installation Manual to adjust the Aux 1 input volume. The default is 50% so may need adjusting. I never changed mine from the factory default.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 99
Appreciate the comment but the stall horn is independent of the AOA - tried adjusting that one, stall still blazes in at ear piercing level no matter what setting the AOA is set to.

Is the stall warning hooked into a specific audio channel on a Dynon Intercom? Is it hooked into one of the EMS pins? How is the system wired into the intercom to get to the headset?

I just went through this same issue. As Bob Y stated, the stall horn volume is controlled by the GTR 200, at least it is on a G3X system. Aux 1 is the stall horn and Aux 2 is all other EFIS sound, including AOA.

You have to access the GTR configuration mode to adjust these volumes.

With the master switch off, remove the fuse for the EFIS, otherwise the GTR will not stay in config mode, at least on a G3X system it won't.

Then, see section 3.6.3 of the GTR 200 Installation Manual: https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01553-00_p.pdf

To access configuration mode, remove power from the unit.
With the unit turned off, press and hold the SMALL Knob and
apply power by turning the Power/Volume/Squelch Knob clockwise.
Release the SMALL Knob when the display activates,
the Config Mode Home page will be displayed

We cranked Aux 1 down, Aux 2 up, and also increased side-tone while we were there so we could better hear our own voices in the headset.

Hope this helps.

Ah - that was the trick I was missing...the second setup menu. Little obscure there with the main setup being available in normal operation.

This did the trick - thanks! Turned my Aux1 down to like 28%...now it's a touch louder than the AOA at 100% on the EFIS - that 50% is definitely way too loud (in my config anyway), 100% would probably tear eardrums...literally. Now I'll tweak as appropriate...

Much appreciated to all, especially BobbyLucas that triggered the ah ha moment I was looking for...there are 2 setup menus in the radio.

Thanks again!

Back