What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stall fence??

pappa

Has anyone installed stall fences to a rv to lower stall speed, as on a rv-9/a? It would seem that you could give it (almost) Maule characteristics, without taking away too much off the top end.

Biil, stall fences do not lower the stall speed. The cuffed leading edge is what lowers the stall speed by allowing a higher angel of attack before the wing stalls. A stall kit normally has a reshaped leading edge and stall fences.

On the Cessna I had with a Horton stall kit, the stall progressed from the wing root to the wing tip because of the wing washout. The stall fence took the stalled air, as it went from the wing root to the tip, and dumped it aft so you had better aileron control near the stall.

RV's wings do not have any washout and stall all at once, not progressivly as my Cessna did. For that reason I don't think a stall fence will help. Possibly a redesigned leading edge could lower the stall speed, but most likely at the cost of top speed. I don't think most RV pilots would give up the higher cruise speeds for a lower stall speed. RV's are a great package as designed.

stall fence

wil, you are right...perhaps I should have used the proper termology. I guess I should have asked about vortex generators so as to lower the stall speed in order to have a better short field aircraft. I sooooo like the rv9 and have dreamed about it for years. The only thing is, I would like to be able to fly from my home. I have about 600 feet between the fence post, and the 9 will get out with ease, but I would have to put it in on the numbers every time I landed.

Is this what your thinking of? I could only copy the text.

Wing fences are fin-like vertical surfaces attached to the upper surface of the wing, that are used to control the airflow. On swept wing airplanes, they are located about two-thirds of the way out towards the wing tip and prevent the drifting of air toward the tip of the wing at high angles of attack. On straight wing airplanes, they control the airflow in the flap area. In both cases, they give better slow speed handling and stall characteristics.

There's a pic here:
(a little over half way down)

http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/fxd_wing/sec_cont.htm

Back