What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless heater boxes from Plane Innovations

Bob Brown

Well Known Member
I'm considering purchasing the stainless steel heater control boxes from Plane Innovations, but I have some questions from those that have installed them. I like the idea of avoiding another firewall penetration for a control cable, but for the type that have the lever inside the firewall, how does that work...do you have to cut a hole in the scat to get the pull cable attached? I can't visualize it from their website.

Ho Bob...

....it looks like they have both...the heater box with an inside the cockpit cable and the other, with the cable ahead of the firewall. What do you currently have? We're building a -7 and Van's supplied an in-the-cockpit cable...the flapper opens into the cockpit, whereas on our -6, the hot air is dumped overboard when it's not in use, as does the new Van's box.

Regards,

The valve with the control arm on the people side of the firewall does not accept a tube. It's intended to blast directly into a plenum for distribution. The control on the engine side has a 2" nipple on the pax side for tube.

John Siebold

Just purchased a pair from Plane innovations a few months ago, and they looked great and he was great to deal with. He knew just what I was looking for, just tell him it's for the RV-10. He said they are made a little different for the ten. And yes, the inside the cockpit control ones have no way to attach the Scat tubing. Those are the only ones available from ACS and I had to send them back. Their catalog described them as what I needed but was wrong.
Ron

Back