What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Brake Line Fitting Help

MatthewD

I had stainless brakes lines made from Bonaco for use between the brake cylinders and the bulkhead fittings, however I didn't catch the size difference between the bulkhead fitting AN 4 and the hose fitting AN 3. No problem, so I ordered a 4x3 reducer fitting and when I tried to hook it all up I realized that an O-ring was needed between the reducer and the AN 3 hose end because the inside of the reducer will not accept the flare of the bulkead fitting........so I ordered the o-rings.

Still no dice..... O-rings did not fit and then I got to checking around and it seems that I do not have the right combination of fittings to make the reducer work???.........need a different type of bulkhead fitting or something.......or do I??

I am about ready to send the hoses back and just have #4 hose ends installed on one end of the line and eliminate the reducer altogether.

What am I missing here???:confused:

brakelines.jpg

send them an email

your missing discussing it with Bret at bonanco. I wasn't up to speed on exactly what I needed but I ordered all the hoses with AN3 fittings to all vans supplied items (resevoir etc) and everything fits just fine. call Bret up and I'm sure he will get you what you need.

Martin

Go with -3 all around. If you've already poked a hole for the -4 bulkhead fitting, rivet a small doubler to the bulkead and redrill.

They worked for me.

Matthew,
I used the reducer fittings. They are a bit strange. The hole is very deep.
They worked for me as I needed them on the straight side of the bulkhead fitting. You can barely see one between the pilots pedals in the attached photo.

Mark

brakes021zoomqd1.jpg

Last edited:
I had stainless brakes lines made from Bonaco for use between the brake cylinders and the bulkhead fittings, however I didn't catch the size difference between the bulkhead fitting AN 4 and the hose fitting AN 3. No problem, so I ordered a 4x3 reducer fitting and when I tried to hook it all up I realized that an O-ring was needed between the reducer and the AN 3 hose end because the inside of the reducer will not accept the flare of the bulkead fitting........so I ordered the o-rings.

Still no dice..... O-rings did not fit and then I got to checking around and it seems that I do not have the right combination of fittings to make the reducer work???.........need a different type of bulkhead fitting or something.......or do I??

I am about ready to send the hoses back and just have #4 hose ends installed on one end of the line and eliminate the reducer altogether.

What am I missing here???:confused:

brakelines.jpg

Matt,

Judging from the picture you took This would be for VIEW E-E on DWG36A,
this as you know connects -4 females to a -4 bulkheads (AN833-4D an AN837-4D).
The part you have now is AN894-4-3D. This part is made to seal with an "O" ring against hex stock with AN threads.
And as you know this is not going to work, if you really want to use an adapter
then you would be looking for a 2406-4-3D (this is a female AN-4 to a male AN-3).

As this is "Kit" is developing and evolving I can not state enough just how important it is that lengths and fittings be checked before You order.
Example......the fittings in the kit most of you have now, the fittings are brass and not AN, they are 90° compression fittings (see. F 69-F-04X02 Assy). This we replace with a AN822-3D.

So Matt.....I hope that you will take the time to give me a call so that I can fix your problem as I would much rather you have a line that is "right" than have you ...how did you say it?....confused.
I'll either put the end on you need or replace the line for you.

Regards,
Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthew,
I used the reducer fittings. They are a bit strange. The hole is very deep.
They worked for me as I needed them on the straight side of the bulkhead fitting. You can barely see one between the pilots pedals in the attached photo.

Mark

Mark, Yes they are a bit strange. The female threads seemed too deep to me and I didn't know if that was right or not?

Seems that I need to send the hoses back for the proper size ends and reduce the number of fittings in the works.

Thx for the advice guys,

Last edited:
I called Brett at Bonaco and he got me straightened out.

Outstanding customer service.......Thx a million Brett!!:D

I also talked with Brett at Bonaco

Brett of Bonaco PM'd me and asked me to call him.

I had ordered the hoses from him over a year ago and I bought the adapter from Aircraft Spruce. Although I think I had gotten the adapter to work it is not the correct one for this application per Brett.

Since my hoses are -3's he's going to send me the #2406-3-4 adapter fittings that I need to attach the hoses to the -4 bulkhead fittings.

I can highly recommend Brett !

http://www.bonacoinc.com/

Mark

Brett of Bonaco PM'd me and asked me to call him.

I had ordered the hoses from him over a year ago and I bought the adapter from Aircraft Spruce. Although I think I had gotten the adapter to work it is not the correct one for this application per Brett.

Since my hoses are -3's he's going to send me the #2406-3-4 adapter fittings that I need to attach the hoses to the -4 bulkhead fittings.

I can highly recommend Brett !

http://www.bonacoinc.com/

Mark

This is what the fitting looks like.....

240141574797d0c567f57.jpg

Regards,
Brett

Back