What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stabilizer Counterweight Arm Problem

JohnF

Well Known Member
I was doing the last part of the stabilizer, bolting in the counterweight arm.
I found the holes in the arm were a few thousands off from the holes in the counterweight bracket. The bolts would not slide in.

I suspect, but am not certain, that when I drilled arm to the existing holes in the bracket that I may have turned one bracket 180-degrees and riveted it in that position.

I found if I rotated the arm 180-degrees I could slide or push the bolts in and secure the arm, but then the "blade" of the end of the arm is slightly "canted" and is upside down from the drawing depiction.

I asked Van's what they thought. I believed my options were:

1. Leave it as is since it is well secured. The "cant" won't hurt, and there is no "up or down" to the blade of the c/w arm.

2. Drill new mounting holes through the brackets and the arm at 90-degrees to the intended orientation. The bolts would then be 'vertical' rather than horizontal when viewed.

Your opinion?

I found if I rotated the arm 180-degrees I could slide or push the bolts in and secure the arm, but then the "blade" of the end of the arm is slightly "canted" and is upside down from the drawing depiction.

1. Leave it as is since it is well secured. The "cant" won't hurt, and there is no "up or down" to the blade of the c/w arm.

2. Drill new mounting holes through the brackets and the arm at 90-degrees to the intended orientation. The bolts would then be 'vertical' rather than horizontal when viewed.

Your opinion?

It would probably be OK, but the plans clearly show a position of the weight, that said, I don't think it would change much if any either way. I vote it's OK.

I was doing the last part of the stabilizer, bolting in the counterweight arm.
I found the holes in the arm were a few thousands off from the holes in the counterweight bracket. The bolts would not slide in.

I suspect, but am not certain, that when I drilled arm to the existing holes in the bracket that I may have turned one bracket 180-degrees and riveted it in that position.

Your opinion?

I'm pretty sure their is an up an up or down to the blade on the end of the arm. It needs to be positioned as shown in the drawing to prevent the counterweights from hitting the bottom skin of the tail cone.

Back