What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stabilator bearings

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am reading the plans to mount the stab. to the tailcone bulkhead and can't figure out the desired set up for the an4 bolt and lateral play of the bearing on the bolt.

it one of 3 things...

#1 the bolt runs out of thread and ''bottoms'' on the nutplate, what ever lateral play there is can't be taken up except by washer thickness.
#2 the bolt tightens the brackets and washers against the bearing, ''grabbing'' the bearing so it only turns in its race, not on the bolt.so washers should take up all slack.
#3 the bolt is threaded into the nutplate and washer thickness has been adjusted so there is just barely play.

i would think it is #2 but i couldn't find anything in the plans to support this.

10-05 step 1

The washers and their thickness should have been determined on page 10-05 step 1. Notice that it says to minimize lateral play. It does not say to completely eliminate it, although I think that would be OK as long as there is no binding and the stabilator moves freely. The hinge brackets should not be bent very much, if at all, when the bolts are tightened. I used 2 of AN960-416L inboard and 2 of AN960-416 outboard. Yours might be different. Friction between moving parts should take place within the bearing and not between the bearing and bolt.
Joe Gores

Last edited:
The goal is to have it shimmed as close as possible so that when the bolts are tightened, the brackets deflects as little as possible.

when the bolts are tightened there is no play between any washers or the bearing , right? the brackets, washers, and bearing are squeezed tight by the bolt torqued to its proper value?

when the bolts are tightened there is no play between any washers or the bearing , right? the brackets, washers, and bearing are squeezed tight by the bolt torqued to its proper value?
IMHO,you are correct. I meant to say the same as Scott, but Scott said it better.
Joe Gores

Last edited:
so as a closing to this post i did the following...........with the stab. skin equal distant on each side of the bulkhead i started shimming . i used a .032'' thick washer in 3 of the 4 places called out and with a feeler gauge i determined .055 was needed in the 4th. ground down a little bit on a .064 washer and the bearing is now a perfect fit between brackets. torquing the bolt will capture the bearing with no bending of any of the brackets. and the superglue came in very handy.

Back