What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stab Turnbuckle error

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Spent more time than I wished on my back reaching up through those little access holes trying to attach the stab turnbuckles with the groove on the forward end of the barrel as specifically called for on the plans. Could NOT make them fit and then discovered that if I put the groove at the back , they threaded on nicely. Called Van's to confirm this and was told Yep, that drawing is reversed!!!
For those who haven't hooked up the stab, yet, mark your plans.

Tension gauge tomorrow!

Wayne 120241

Turnbuckles

Wayne, I just used up several hours and a lot of my old Navy vocabulary fishing my hands and long nose pliers through those two small inspection holes getting the clips in the turnbuckles. What did you mean "put the groove on the back?"

I couldn't help but wonder why the designers didn't use different lengths of cable to put the turnbuckles just behind the baggage wall...at least you could have reached it there.

Turnbuckle error

John, there's an engraved ring or groove around one end of the brass turnbuckle barrel. The plans say (can't recall page number, but it's Figure 2 on the page for installing the turnbuckles) that the "groove should be at the forward end". It will not thread on that way--apparently the threaded ends are different sizes or different threads. The barrel will ONLY thread onto the ends of the cables if the groove is at the rear of the barrel.

Van's confirnmed that,

Wayne

...apparently the threaded ends are different sizes or different threads. The barrel will ONLY thread onto the ends of the cables if the groove is at the rear of the barrel.

Van's confirnmed that,

Wayne

Turnbuckles have a right-hand thread on one end, and a left-hand thread on the other; otherwise they wouldn't change length when you turn 'em.;)

Back