What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SS rivets

Ron B.

Well Known Member
We inadvertently used s.s. pop type rivets,( I had on hand) to help secure the NACA vents. I thought they were alum. until we had to drill one out. They drill out very hard and you have to be careful not to heat up the rivet while drilling, and melt the hole bigger in the plastic vent.
Should we drill them all out and replace with alum. to prevent corrosion?
Thanks Ron

I don't get paid to think on the RV!!! Good point I hadn't thought about, but the paint isn't covering that area , as in the corrosion won't work it's way out thru the paint job.
Thanks

Ron,

Try using some Pro-Seal to hold those NACA vents in place. Duct tape will hold them until the Pro-Seal sets up.

We inadvertently used s.s. pop type rivets,( I had on hand) to help secure the NACA vents. I thought they were alum. until we had to drill one out. They drill out very hard and you have to be careful not to heat up the rivet while drilling, and melt the hole bigger in the plastic vent.
Should we drill them all out and replace with alum. to prevent corrosion?
Thanks Ron

I wouldn't worry to much about Electrolysis, your not exaclty going to be removing that vent much. Besides that $.06 Pop riviet is doing 10 times better than that $.06 an ounce LP-4-3 you got from Vans. Your are fine with what you have keep hammering away, or squezzing in your case. Good Luck

Bill tell me about this pro-seal, Where could i procure some?

Last edited:
I know it's probably a dumb question, but why did you even bother to drill them out? Was it a problem with the vents?

Its to late to edit my previouse post

but, when you drill SS riviets or and Stainless with a hand drill , you want to pulse the drill bit with short burst at a moderate speed, multiple on/off burst. I don't how other folks do it but thats how SS with a hand drill,

I am sure the majority of you know this already and i sound like one of those dorks that has to chime in on ever single thread with information that every one already knows and adds nothing to the internet but slowing down band width! ;), that gets a old quick!

I am sure the majority of you know this already and i sound like one of those dorks that has to chime in on ever single thread with information that every one already knows and adds nothing to the internet but slowing down band width! ;), that gets a old quick!

I think the idea here is to inform/educate the folks who are not aware of these tips--------and that is a worthwhile activity.

Carry on.

John
I did not drill out a NASA vent just one S.S. rivet that was not tight when squeezed.
Thanks again guy's
Ron

Back