What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Squeezing rivets

pietermk

Well Known Member
Good morning all,

I have searched this forum and the internet still not sure how to proceed. one of my next steps is to squeeze the rivets in the hinges. So I am trying to figure out how to use the Avery rivet squeezer.
first question is which set to use, see the picture (I can't make the picture show up in the post :mad:)

gL7PCSrsMifFf9iJttJrBDjMOckGTau6E--nJSPyOEo

I think it is the one in the middle correct? it shows 1/8 AN47 on the small one

second question; when squeezing how are these 2 pieces set in relation to the rivet. does the round head of the rivet go in the cupped shape or is that where the new rivet head is formed?

third question; the user manual states "determine to approximate height to the set rivet and adjust to gap" How do you know the correct gap?

thanks group

Peter

Yeah its the middle ones!

I have searched this forum and the internet still not sure how to proceed. one of my next steps is to squeeze the rivets in the hinges. So I am trying to figure out how to use the Avery rivet squeezer.
first question is which set to use, see the picture (I can't make the picture show up in the post )

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I think it is the one in the middle correct? it shows 1/8 AN47 on the small one

second question; when squeezing how are these 2 pieces set in relation to the rivet. does the round head of the rivet go in the cupped shape or is that where the new rivet head is formed?

third question; the user manual states "determine to approximate height to the set rivet and adjust to gap" How do you know the correct gap?

Pete to get you on the right track in the future when asking a questions in your text refer to the Plans page number at the bottom of the page. I went to your online log and yes to your first question its the middle ones in your picture. See section 5 page 4, 6, 7 ,8 in your plans for info on rivets. And maybe in your, "Standard Aircraft Handbook", there maybe some info there I cant remember Mine is at the hanger. Yes the round head goes in the cupped one. You can adjust the moving shaft on the squeezers by turning it. See page 5-4 on how much to squeeze. Sorry I cant be more exact. I assume you are on page 6-2 there have been many discussions about those hinges Ill see if I can find a thread link for you. Oh yeah better yet see this video at EAA:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1431564069?bclid=1432790122&bctid=21190816001

:eek:

Rivet gauge

Like John said, read the introduction in section 5 on rivets. Note that the rivet shop head should have a diameter of approximately 1.5 times the rivet diameter. You can buy a go-no go rivet gauge or you can make your own by drilling a 3/16" hole (for 1/8" rivets) in a piece of scrap aluminum. To adjust the rivet squeezer, put a rivet in it between the dies and turn the shaft of the squeezer until the handles are about 45? apart. Some brands of squeezers require more force than others. If you find that it is too hard to squeeze the handles, then adjust the shaft so that the handles are closer together, squeeze and adjust in steps until the rivet is properly set.
Joe

The advice you've gotten so far is spot on. I use a technique similar to what Joe recommends: I use a rivet to set the squeezer so the arms won't quite close. Then I turn the set out (CCW) about three more rounds. This won't be enough but it is easier to sneak up on a setting rather than unsqueeze if you've gone too far. When you squeeze, make sure the manufactured head is well seated in the cupped set and the other end of the rivet is centered on the flat set. I'd practice on a piece of scrap and set three or four rivets first; you'll find it's really pretty easy to get good results and won't take much practice.

Pete to get you on the right track in the future when asking a questions in your text refer to the Plans page number at the bottom of the page. I went to your online log and yes to your first question its the middle ones in your picture. See section 5 page 4, 6, 7 ,8 in your plans for info on rivets. And maybe in your, "Standard Aircraft Handbook", there maybe some info there I cant remember Mine is at the hanger. Yes the round head goes in the cupped one. You can adjust the moving shaft on the squeezers by turning it. See page 5-4 on how much to squeeze. Sorry I cant be more exact. I assume you are on page 6-2 there have been many discussions about those hinges Ill see if I can find a thread link for you. Oh yeah better yet see this video at EAA:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1431564069?bclid=1432790122&bctid=21190816001

:eek:

I am sorry I did not put a page reference in, I did not ask the question in reference to a specific page. I did read the section 5 on rivets, I was just not clear how to use the squeezer.

thank you!

The advice you've gotten so far is spot on. I use a technique similar to what Joe recommends: I use a rivet to set the squeezer so the arms won't quite close. Then I turn the set out (CCW) about three more rounds. This won't be enough but it is easier to sneak up on a setting rather than unsqueeze if you've gone too far. When you squeeze, make sure the manufactured head is well seated in the cupped set and the other end of the rivet is centered on the flat set. I'd practice on a piece of scrap and set three or four rivets first; you'll find it's really pretty easy to get good results and won't take much practice.

thank you, this is very helpful to figure out the steps.

Peter

I just found the information in the standard aircraft handbook regarding the which sets to use. this together with the info on how to "calibrate" the squeezer I am going to practice some rivets this afternoon.

thank you all and sorry for asking something I could find in the one place I did not look.

Peter

I put the squeezer together with the middle sets, the cupped one and the higher flat one. Using the higher flat the rivet does not even fit in between the 2 pieces when the arms are all the way open. So I put the lower profile flat set in calibrate it such that the arms are 45 degrees apart. Squeeze the first rivet and it did not go right because I let the rivet head come off the metal so the rivet widens right below the head and above the surface. Drilled out my first rivet.
tried again the bottom of the rivet widened but not enough, I was at the end of the travel of the squeezer arms. I need to adjust the arms even more so that I have more travel and can squeeze longer I guess.

Day off so hope to spend more time in the garage

Peter

Good suggestion...

You should order Van's RV Training Project. It's cheap (only $35), and you can make your mistakes on it instead. :)

- John

I had no experience with aircraft construction and decided to order the training kit just to make sure I could do the basics before I started on the empenage. It's cheap insurance if you've never handled a rivet squeezer before.

Avery Squeezer

As I see you are using the Avery Squeezer which has an ultra short user manual, don't forget to lubricate it with the grease that comes with it. While you squeeze, there is a strong metal to metal friction inside the head and without lubrication the metal will grind off. I had to repolish mine with the ScotchBrite wheel to get it smooth again. It may also help to extend the handle to decrease the squeezing force, there are several posts on the subject the a search will find.
Keep it up, you are going through the most frustrating part of the build but it won't last! :cool:

thank you for the info Wingedfrog, do you mean grease the sets, the cupped and flat one?

I adjusted the squeezer and not I get good rivets with the 1 1/2 times the diameter.

Peter

I had no experience with aircraft construction and decided to order the training kit just to make sure I could do the basics before I started on the empenage. It's cheap insurance if you've never handled a rivet squeezer before.

I never knew about the training kit

thx

Peter

The training kit...

The training kit is actually designed to prepare the builder for the other RV models that have bucked rivets. You would not be able to complete the kit with just a squeezer. There are some rivets that can be squeezed and it does give you a bunch of sheet metal and some rivets to practice with.
I think the 12 is designed to be built by a builder who starts out knowing nothing, like us :eek:.

Oh Noooo!

thank you for the info Wingedfrog, do you mean grease the sets, the cupped and flat one?

I adjusted the squeezer and not I get good rivets with the 1 1/2 times the diameter.

Peter
I meant grease the D shaped head and its counter part the female set holder that are inside the set holder assembly. You need to disassemble the assembly by pulling the two big rings, easy!:eek:

Peter....getting "kick started" with the first kit can be a little overwhelming at first, and if at all possible, goes alot easier with a 'mentor' from a local EAA chapter or other experienced builder....once you learn a few basic skills (riveting, deburring, dimpling, countersinking, breaking, fluting come to mind....), you'll be rockin' like a pro in no time. I'm not too far up the road in Phoenixville PA (near Valley Forge) and I just finished empennage kit, and more than willing to help if you want to take a ride one day. Most important is to read, then reread, the instructions in the book....so far I have found virtually no mistakes in the -12 plans....hope things continue that way with the wing kit I'm expecting next week!

Peter....getting "kick started" with the first kit can be a little overwhelming at first, and if at all possible, goes alot easier with a 'mentor' from a local EAA chapter or other experienced builder....once you learn a few basic skills (riveting, deburring, dimpling, countersinking, breaking, fluting come to mind....), you'll be rockin' like a pro in no time. I'm not too far up the road in Phoenixville PA (near Valley Forge) and I just finished empennage kit, and more than willing to help if you want to take a ride one day. Most important is to read, then reread, the instructions in the book....so far I have found virtually no mistakes in the -12 plans....hope things continue that way with the wing kit I'm expecting next week!

I would really appreciate it as yes I have a lot to learn. the biggest thing is sometimes knowing how to use the tools. With help from this great forum I have found a lot of extra resources.

I will be posting another question next :D

Check out the builder videos on the EAA website if you want to learn about some of the basic skills. The videos are very good if you don't have a local mentor around.

Check out the builder videos on the EAA website if you want to learn about some of the basic skills. The videos are very good if you don't have a local mentor around.

Thanks Mac, that is what I did yesterday when I had to do my first counter sinking. The video was very helpful.

Peter

Back