What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spring for alternate door hinge

Sylvainsting

Hello,

Working on the MK 3 air filter from James Aircraft, I am searching a little load spring for the alternate air door.
Do you know where I can purchase those part ? Avery tools is definitively closed..

in advance thank you
Greetings
Sylvain

Last edited:
Sylvian,
Your OP looks like you are looking for an alternate air door spring, and the Cleveland one is for the oil access door. If the spring is too strong, it might not allow the door to function for alternate air. Might want to check on it.

You are right Dan. I would like to find anyone who installed those alternate air door, to have the best information...

Contact James Aircraft North

Sylvain, I lost the springs on my Mk3 at some point in the build process. I emailed Will James asking for the part number and he just sent me two new springs. You might send him a quick email.

Darin

Hi Darin,

I have those little springs with the kit but I don't know if there are right for an automatic alternate air door utilisation ? Can you tell me how you installed them ?
If you have a pic...

Sylvain

No pictures

Hi Sylvain, I don't have any pictures but I did do it similar to the instructions. Basically I cut the center eyelet out of the hinge and then slid the hinge pin through the springs. They did take some "winding" to get them to clock properly and hold the door shut with a good amount of pressure.

Darin,

Did you install a control cable or only an "automatic" alternate air door ?
There is no instructions about the springs in the James Aircraft instructions.

I will take some pics tomorrow to have your help because I don't manage to install those springs...

Darin,

Take a look on this picture. The alternate air door need a spring for close hinge.
and the spring received with the kit are spring for open hinge.

So I don't understand how you are able to install it as a close spring.

I have been studying about this part of the James installation as well. My understanding of an alternate air door is to provide intake air in the event that the normal intake gets blocked. There seems to be at least 2 different alternate air door locations. The one that my intake is styled for puts the door between the filter and the cowl intake. With this setup you get filtered air even with the alternate door open. This is good if the cowl intake hole get stopped up but no good if the air filter gets stopped up. With the other one the door is located after the air filter. With this setup you get unfiltered air with the door open. What are the odds of the cowl intake getting stopped up but the air filter still being not stopped up? All of the certified planes I can remember had the door after the filter. I hope this makes sense.

Hello Darin,

The only thing I managed with the springs from the kit is on those pics. It is not a good solution..I don't understand. Please Help !

Sylvian, I think you are on the right track. The difference between your configuration and mine is that in mine I have the hinge eyelets on the inside of "bowl" (hinge flipped over). I also use both springs to keep the door shut unless the inlet gets blocked. I hope to get to the airport late this week and I should be able to pull the cowl and take some pictures for you.

Back