What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spreadsheet Hardware Part List

jsenft

Well Known Member
Does anyone have an electric spreadsheet of the parts that are in the hardware bags? It would be nice to have the ably to organize the bags and search on a part number or description when you can?t find the small part that is part of a bag kit.

Consider Parts Storage Containers

Can?t help with your spread sheet question and it would be handy to have that to be sure.

To aid with keeping track of the multitude of small parts and allow for rapid access, here is what I found works great for me. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a bunch of plastic storage trays ? they are always on sale around $4.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divider-storage-container-94458.html

While watching TV in the evenings and counting all the small parts in the bags for the inventory, I use a Dymo labeling machine with vinyl tape and make labels for each bin and place all the small parts into them. One tray is for AN 3&4 bolts, another for nuts & nutplates, another for washers, ect. Most all of the hardware fits nicely in the compartments. To save room, I will place a long AN bolt in the same location as a small bolt so identification is still easy. The link below is of my storage trays after the finishing kit was inventoried.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--KhwaLhQypU/UyhbsMKoXYI/AAAAAAAAG_M/rv8ZF4h9w6g/s1600/DSC06628.JPG

If I need a washer, I go to straight to the washer tray ... no sifting through paper bags. A big downside of working out of the bags is as the parts count within the bag changes, it can at times become difficult to identify parts since the parts were originally identified by the parts count alone within the bag.

For the larger bundles of aluminum parts I try keeping them in bundles labeled with the sub kit number and refer to the packing list to identify which bundle I should look in for the desired part.

Happy building,

I think you're talking about a list where you can look up a part number and it will tell you what bag or sub kit it is in. That would be handy, but for me personally, I've never had much problem with going through the parts lists that come with each kit's documentation until I find the part number, see what bag (or sub kit) it's in, and go get it. Common parts like rivets, nutplates, washers, etc. go in labeled drawers.

After reading Johns post above I thought I'd add that as I take parts out of the bag that has multiple parts I mark the parts list with a tick mark to indicate that. That took care of the problem of having to identify similar parts by the parts count in the bag.

But then I also enjoy putting jigsaw puzzles together.

Jim

Last edited:
Back