What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sporty's SP-400 Handheld Nav/Com

Pretty cool. My SP200 works great on LOC with an external antenna. I suspect this one will as well.

I sure hope the receiver of the com side is better than the SP200!!!!

Who would have noodled that they would come out with a new model....They must sell a bunch of those things!

How many people have actually used the SP series LOC function in IMC after their primary failed???

How many people use the SP series illegally as their primary NAV radio?

Last edited:
SP-400

Yah, i've been eyeing the SP-400 also since they announced it. I'm curious as to how people rate this thing.

How many people use the SP series illegally as their primary NAV radio?

What would be illegal about this? In a brief search I found nothing that said this would be illegal. for IFR flight 91.205 says "(2) Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown." I don't see how this could exclude handheld NAVs

I just read an aviation consumer article that said the nav side performed up to par if not better compared to panel mounts. It made me wonder if, attached to a dedicated NAV antenna, this could be a viable primary nav. previously i had been looking at the VAL but this could save a bunch of money.

Also, if this were hooked to a NAV anteanna would the COM side be totally unusable? I have a dedicated COM but a second COM could come in handy to pick up ATIS, AWOS, or Unicom without leaving frequency.

Back