What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Splice stip quesiton

JVolkober

Well Known Member
I have a question about the proper length of the splice strip between the leading edge skin and the tank. I cut it to run from the aft edge of the top skin to the aft edge of the bottom skin with the result that it is in between the leading edge skin and the main spar flange and will be between the tank skin and the main spar flange. Is this correct? Looking at it now, it seems that it should run from the top aft edge of the inboard leading edge rib to the bottom of aft edge of the rib, short of the main spar flange.

Hi JK - I decided that the spice strip should be the interface between the skins only (LE skin to tank skin) and it has nothing to do with the main spar. To prevent interference, I trimmed it to clear the main spar by about 1/16 or 1/8 (can't remember) on each side.

The above advice is worth what you paid... I'm not done yet but the splice strip seems to work. I've fit the LE / tank / splice strip and drilled everything and it "looks good".

Good luck!

No overlap

The length of joint plate is called out on the RV-7 drawings as 36.5 inches. When made the specified length, it does not overlap the spar flanges.

Althought the length may be different on the -9, I am sure that the joint plate should not overlap the spar flange.

Thanks all

Thank you for your input. I also spoke this morning with a friend building a -7 and confirmed that the splice strip should not overlap the spar flange. Very hard to see in the -9 drawings.

John

Wow! Is this a great forum or what!

I was just doing this exact chore this afternoon and wondering the same thing.

I log on and BAM! My question is answered.

I made my splice plate too long. It overlaps the spar flanges and I was thinking I should trim it back. Now I WILL.

Thanks!

Dave
RV9A

It should NOT overlap the spar. I don't recall a length callout, but bent it to shape, and marked directly on the strip where to cut.

Back