What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner to cowl clearance

RV8R999

Well Known Member
I'm nearly done with the plane and recently posted pics of m fuse in the "status thread".

I ignored all you smarter people and only built about 1/8" gap between the spinner and the cowl. Yep - just like many of you stated, its a real ***** to get the cowl on and off without gouging the paint.

I have a 1/8" prop spacer I bought from VANs wondering if I can put this between the prop extension and the spinner back plate providing another 1/8" clearance? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

I'm nearly done with the plane and recently posted pics of m fuse in the "status thread".

I ignored all you smarter people and only built about 1/8" gap between the spinner and the cowl. Yep - just like many of you stated, its a real ***** to get the cowl on and off without gouging the paint.

I have a 1/8" prop spacer I bought from VANs wondering if I can put this between the prop extension and the spinner back plate providing another 1/8" clearance? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

My RV-8 is 1/8" (thereabouts) with practice you will figure out how to remove the cowl. Besides, you will only scratch the part that doesn't show. A 1/8" spacer will give you a 1/4" gap...not as cool looking as the 1/8.
Vince
RV8 N8432 flying

Ken,

Our gap is just under 3/16 and the bottom cowl can be a struggle to get on and off without scratching paint. I solved the problem by making a template the same size as the front of the bottom cowl out of a 1/32 piece of mylar. I just tape the mylar in place on the cowl and it protects the cowl from scratching if it hits the spinner. Just remember to remove it before you go flying:)

use the spacer

I did that very thing on my RV6 years ago and it worked out fine.
Sometimes too tight tolerances are not what you really want, especially in this case. Up to a 3/8" gap between the spinner and cowl is fine, in my opinion, and it sure does make getting the cowl on and off easier, although some folks prefer the smnaller gap.
I also used protectors on the spinner, as others suggested, and that really helps the paint stay nice.

Back