What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

spinner/prop

almarsh

Well Known Member
need some step by step install pics of anyones process of fixed pitch install 0320 lyco.
how u achieved center point at cone ect.. vans manual and drawing a little short on the for coming of this any help would be awsome .

[email protected]

To find the opposing points on the Spinner to cut out for the Prop? I think this is what your asking. Mark the starting point with a sharpie, Measure the diameter of the spinner and divide by 2 unless its a 3 blade prop then divide by 3

Good Luck

prop

hey thanks but at this stage we all know how to divide a circle its beyound that my theory is that if back plate goes on and in fixed position then spacer then prop then front plate we know have everything together except spinner cone now some say find point on wall use ladder theory, i say with prop front and back plates on extension in place and prop on set all of this on perfectly flat plane such as table top ect.. then if its flat to the world with back plate just of table top set spinner down over this , the spinner cone must now be exactly vertical to the world and perpindicular to prop now mark both inner and outter plates for plate nuts wa la shouldnt this be how it should be done, maybe vans needs to rethink this part in there manuall instead of saying now make front spinner equall distances , because if it needs to be in differnt loacation wouldnt it be wise to have done it the way i described any way. i just could use some pics of start to finish on this the easy part to understand is how to cut out for the prop.

sam site

hes helped us all thanks again sam still looking for that answer, any other web sites have some pics to help us all in our effort to understand better the total installation of the dreaded spinner prop spacer seems like not enough info on sams site.

spinner question

is it possibe to mount prop on engine without cutting the notch out for the prop at rear of spinner,and or without any other holes for screws, because im getting very narrow minded here about cutting notch until forward ,and aft spinner bulkheads are mounted with prop for proper notch depth so that the front spinner plate can be seated against inside of spinner, and then i feel i can adjust notch at prop, if needed to let the spinner go deeper to be seated on front bulkhead. if nescessary one might have to trim spinner at rear bulkhead if it overlaps , trimmed back to aft spinner baffele so to speak.

wow if i made any sense here can someone reitterate my thoughts or stand me corrected here????

Thr Rube Goldberg way works...

....as good as any other:)

Make a sharpie black dot on the very tip of the spinner, centered as good as your eye can do.

Get a ladder or anything that's high enough to clamp a pencil to and point the pencil directly at the dot on the spinner, and about 1/16" away from it. I used 4 cleco clamps to hold the spinner to the backplate. If the spark plugs are out, you can easily rotate the prop, watching the dot/pencil relationship. If the spinner wobbles a little, bump it back with your hand. Keep tapping here and there until it stays concentric and there's no wobble.

Then carefully drill 4 opposite holes through the spinner and backplate (where you marked them earlier) without moving the spinner. Cleco through the holes and drill the remaining holes.

Best,

Lazy Susan ?

I have not reached this stage yet so I may be out in left field but could Pierre's method be done with a lazy Susan ?

You could....

...probably use a lazy Susan if the backplate was held off by a little bit, so that the spinner didn't touch the surface because often, the spinners rear is not perfect...it's sometimes wavy.

I also have a big 2' woodworking lathe that I've thought about turning a backplate of wood and bolt the backplate to it and true the spinner by turning it slowly since my speed is infinitely variable.

...more than one way to skin this cat:)

Last edited:
Back