What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner Problem

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Help! My RV9 is finished except for the spinner and I discovered a problem. My Ed Sterba wood prop is 4 3/8 inch thick at the hub, but the space between the forward and back spinner plates is 3 11/16. A difference of 11/16 inch. The manual says that if you encounter this situation you need a smaller front plate. From where? Anyone have this problem or have a solution? I may be able to get a little more space by sanding the inside of the spinner and also reducing the thickness of the front plate. I put an email into Van's and am waiting for the reply.

Thanks,

Hi Bruce- I have to ask to be sure. But I am also using a Ed Sterba Prop however mine is for a 0-360 I assume he made yours for a 320? Are you sure the thickness of the hub is 4 3/8 thick? Mine is 4 1/2" and could be thicker due to the type engine. When I measured from rear of the forward plate to the edge of the spinner I measured 4.5" exactly. Here's what mine looks like and I assume yours is the same. I dont know what prompts Vans to send one diameter front plate over another. I never told them what prop I was using and they must send radmon size front plates to folks that dont specify. It sounds like they sent you a larger one than I have.

http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/PROPS/06-06-10.htm
http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/PROPS/06-06-13.htm

-Jeff

PROPS%20027.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff,
Thanks for responding. Great looking plenum and pictures! I really admire you guys who do such nice work and post it for us. Anyway, I noticed that your front plate is different than mine. Mine has a recess stamped into it where my crush plate sits, yours does not have that and could account for much of the discrepancy. Yes, mine is an O320 and I may have measured wrong when I came up with 4 3/8 thickness on the prop and may actually be 4 1/2. Looks like if I can get a front plate like yours then I may be alright.

2 minutes later:
OK, problem solved. Looking at the drawings it seems like they gave me a S-605 SEN plate (for Sensenich prop) instead of the generic S-605 for the wood prop. Looks like I'll be flying next month after all! Thanks again Jeff.

Last edited:
Back