What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner Install Order

Jim P

Well Known Member
I have a Hartz. BA prop and am in the process of working the spinner install. From what I can see, most folks install the back plate, then mount the prop on the engine, THEN drill the backplate for nutplates.

Is there any problem with mounting the backplate and pre-drilling all the nutplates while the prop is off the engine. Then go back and match drill the spinner to the back plate after prop is mounted. I'm just seeing a major PITA with de-burring while that prop is on the engine and I only want to install it once for now.

I did this last week with the prop installed. It was a minor PITA. I used a drill bit to debur.

Countersinking and riveting was no problem with the prop installed.

Jekyll

I mounted my spinner with the prop setting on a flat, level table. That way I could reference off the table to be sure everything was squared up to the prop. It will sit just fine on a smooth surface. Made the job really easy. You are fitting the cowl to the backing plate, anyway, so as long as it is spaced properly, per Van's instructions, it will all be fine. Mine came out great.

Roberta

I did it per Van's plans as it is so easy to get the spinner on so it wabbles.

Here is a picture of how I did mine:

PS. Don't run the engine w/o the spinner attached. It can throw the plates you riveted on behind the prop.

Back