What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner bushings?

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I've got my spinner in place (almost)and as with Tim Olsen discription the spinner is about 3/32" short. I'm wandering if I could remove one of the two washers that are behind the backing plate assembly (page 47-02) that are next to the spacer bushings? This would move the backing plate forward and into the spinner for a better fit. There appears to be no problem with interference. Should leave more glass aft of the screws for more strength.
What do you think?
Thanks Ron

I went ahead and removed four washers from the forward side of the spinner backing plate assembly (one from each clamp bolts). I checked for clearance all around the backing plate assembly and hub. The closest interference point (and there is still 1/32" ) is between the blades and backing plate at full pitch. Now the spinner fits all the way back on the backing plate flange as it should. I used countersunk screws and reinforcment washers. I still have about 1/4" material left on the aft edge of the spinner before the beginning of the countersink for the washers.
I was surprised that the spinner assembly took over 20 hrs to accomplish. I just primed the gap filler plates and still have to rivet them in.
Now is a good time for someone to point out why I should not have removed these four washers ( job is complete). Hartzell's manual says no more than three washers are allowed in this location but does not address any fewer. It would seem that if fewer, were a problem they would have included this in with there instructions.
Ron

Back