What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner backplate adjustment

Tom Delaney

Well Known Member
I would like to trim 3/32" from the edge of the rear spinner plate. For those who have accomplished this I would be interested in how you approached the operation. Doesn't look like a lot of fun!

Thanks

I'm not sure why you would want to, but I would take it to a machine shop and have them turn it down on a lathe if you don't have one.

Not sure if I want to myself...but considering it.

Top cowl/spinner gap is .090" and the rear of the cowl is sanded to the scribe line however I still have at least 3/32" overlap between the rear of the top cowl and the instrument bay.

Archives suggest adjusting the spinner plate may be an option. I am just trying to keep the cowl as forward as possible to ward off potential space issues with the oil cooler, muffler, etc.

The scribe lines are a starting point. I delayed my cowl fitting until after hanging the engine so I could be sure of the gap to the spinner. If all you need is 3/32" sanding the cowl edge should not cause an issue.

If you have to shave the plate, consider a powerful rotary right-angle sander secured in your workmate bench or in a vise, with a heavy duty disk. Mark the plate and go up to the mark. A handheld belt sander or, better, a bench top 4 inch belt sander with a heavy belt can do the same. BTW, the latter is one of the best tools for working on the Fiberglas pieces!! You can get very flat trimming exactly up to the scribe line with one. Sooooo much better and faster than hand sanding.

Have you considered a prop extension? Sounds like a 1/4" plate would work. I can't remember if there are drive lugs which might be a problem.

Rich and Bill, thanks for your input!

Prior to performing any adjustment to the spinner plate I am going to reinstall the cowl and spinner for a fresh look.

I seem to be heading to the same issue that Torsten encountered during his cowl trimming:

http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/search/label/Section 38
(Sunday October 21st entry)

I will take some pictures to post and get some feedback.

Thanks,

Back