What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spin/Upset Training in Charlotte, NC area - Bill Finagin

sandifer

Well Known Member
IAC Hall of Famer Bill Finagin is widely recognized as one of the best acro/spin/upset instructors anywhere and will be in the Charlotte, NC area April 20-21 (after SNF) to conduct spin and upset training. His classes are 5 students (max of 6) per day, lasting all day. A couple of hours of theory and the rest flying (two flights per student). He will teach normal, flat, accelerated, and crossover spin recovery in both upright and inverted modes. This is not aircraft-specific training. It applies to all aircraft equally and he will point out the differences. The flying will be done in a brand-new Pitts S-2C. Certificate of completion issued for your insurance which may reduce your rates. $400.00 per person. Well worth it alone for two flights in a Pitts. Add this valuable training and you have a bargain.

If interested, please let me know by this Friday, 3/5. $100 deposit needed and first come, first served.

[email protected]

Location TBD, but most likely Charlotte-Monroe (EQY)

Last edited:
Since KLKR will be closed for runway work, I am working on aiport location at the moment. Most likely it will be at KEQY

Change Status

KEQY Confirmed! We will have the training at KEQY of Tuesday April 20th and Wednesday April 21st.

Last edited:
Spin Training

Eric, I attended the spin traing with Bill Finagin on the 20th at LKR . I took some photos of a fellow trainee named Steve ? flew in a RV-8 with Navy markings. I need to know his e-mail to send him these pics. He gave me his address right after he landed with Bill and I can't make out what he wrote. Wonder why? Ha!! Most intense and best flying training I have ever endured. I feel I'm a ton better prepared for a spin of any kind! I'm proud to have flown with Bill Finagin. Thanks and best regards, Bill Phillips

There was also a fellow named Mitch ? there that said he owned a Pitts. He might have Steve's last name and address. Anybody know Mitch? Thanks, Bill

There was also a fellow named Mitch ? there that said he owned a Pitts. He might have Steve's last name and address. Anybody know Mitch? Thanks, Bill

Hey Bill..Mitch here....Sorry, I dont have Steve's address...Glad you made it down and went home with a new perspective of safety! loved your Subaru engined RV8!

This guy was doing flat spin on the RV?

He was doing all kinds of spins including a flat spin (upright and inverted) on a training Pitts S2C

Do you undestand what flat spin is? No difference than any others in reality as far the aircraft (any model) is concerned....

Since your are thinking "DEAD TRAP" "AIRCRAFT OVERSTRESSED" let's explain further........on a Lycoming/Continental powered aircraft you can only Flat Spin to the Left. You can spin to the right all you want, but it will never ever be a Flat Spin...Opposite for Russian Engine Driven aircraft (propeller turns opposite) You can only Flat Spin to the Right....

To achieve a Flat Spin, you need first enter a normal spin by reducing all power, holding your stick back and pressing your full LH pedal (causing the aircraft to YAW left). Once you are on a fully developed spin, place your stick in the 5 o'clock position and add power. The prop wash over the elevator will push the nose up (FLAT FUSELAGE IN RELATION TO THE GROUND) and slowing your rotation speed...

VOILA...you just achieved your FLAT SPIN. (SAME INVERTED but Stick needs to be in the Upper 2 Oclock) ...to stop, cut power commpletelly, place the stick back to the 6 o'clock position and apply full opposite or RH rudder until rotation stops. Easy your stick position back to center until you acchive 80 to 100 kias and return to SL flight...

If you forget what to do pleas apply the Emergency Recovery Procedure.... ...cut power, center and hold everything (DO NOT RELEASE LIKE OTHERS RECCOMEND SINCE IT WILL TAKE LONGER) and wait, wait wait until aircraft stops rotating on its own, achieve 80 to 100 kias and return to SL flight. YAW controls everything on a SPIN and once you remove YAW (center the pedals) the aircraft tendency will be to start flying again....

Let me ask you another question....how many G's do you think the RV or any other aircraft experiences during a spin? you might be surprise by the correct answer. I have several videos to proof my statement but during the entry and during the Spin less than 2 g's you will get more G's at pullout if you are anxious.

I am not an expert of Spins myself but have flown several of them in all different attitudes in different aicraft....I have a great level of confidence during spins having attenteded Bill Spin and Emergency recovery procedures for many years. We start all our SPINS at 7,500 ft. AGL and recover no lower than 3000 Ft AGL....

Sorry for any english language or grammar errors...English still my addopted language!

Charlotte area upset/spin/tailwheel

Mikey Matthews at Acrodynamics also offers upset/spin/aerobatic training here in the Charlotte area in either a 8KCAB or a Pitts S2B. He'll also instruct RV training (including spins) in your RV.

I spent a couple of hours in his Decathlon and another 10+ hours with him after purchasing the -4. Nice guy.

http://acrodynamics.org/

Back