What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Special tool for removing inner plug in engine?

mikehoover

Well Known Member
Lycoming advised me to puncture or remove the inner plug in my O-320 that has the hollow crank since I am using a fixed pitch prop. After puncuting it a few times I decided it might be better to just remove it. It is not budging. Is there a special tool or method required? Thanks!

I use a dent puller as in the body shop method. Put some grease in there to catch any little drilling flecks, then drill a small hole (1/8" or so). Screw in the dent puller and give it one good whack one the slide.

Lycoming advised me to puncture or remove the inner plug in my O-320 that has the hollow crank since I am using a fixed pitch prop. After puncuting it a few times I decided it might be better to just remove it. It is not budging. Is there a special tool or method required? Thanks!

I'm curious why you want to remove it. I had a small oil leak at my ring gear, pulled the front plug and found the rear was intact. I punctured a small, 1/8" square hole in it, and have had not further issues in another 50 hours of operation....

Don't remove it, you will be fine.

On both of my engines I took a long Phillips screwdriver and punch two holes in that seal before pounding the outer seal in place.

The guys who get in trouble are the ones who don't punch a hole in it.

Also, be careful, if you use a dent puller and have the cross tube in the crank. You could damage it.

Back