What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speakers vs. Headphones

jpowell13

Well Known Member
I trained under an "old-school" instructor who used a boom mike and speaker for communication. His rational was that you could hear the airplane, and that was important. Sure enough, on my first solo in IMC at night while I was fumbling with maps I let the right wing drop. It has the increasing pitch of the wind around the airframe that alerted me to my mistake. Do any of you fly without headsets in your RV's? I had no real problem with the noise in the Cherokees I'm used to and don't really like wearing headsets.

You'd probably be deaf in a matter of hours. RV's are pretty loud compared to some other GA aircraft. Buy a good set of ANR headsets and you can hear the changes in wind and hear more changes in the engine. I've flown my RV with my headsets off and it's unnerving.

Reminds me of a visit I made to Santa Paula Airport (KSZP) during the monthly open hangar day several years ago. I wandered into a hangar to check out a nice-looking Champ. The owner was on a tirade about "real pilots", which in his opinion excluded anyone who wore a headset. I asked him if he'd ever tried one. He replied "...what?"

What? Was that for us?

Reminds me of a visit I made to Santa Paula Airport (KSZP) during the monthly open hangar day several years ago. I wandered into a hangar to check out a nice-looking Champ. The owner was on a tirade about "real pilots", which in his opinion excluded anyone who wore a headset. I asked him if he'd ever tried one. He replied "...what?"

Very true and sadly funny. I am a 15K hour, 64 year old pilot with nearly normal hearing thanks to headsets and wearing ear protection on the ramp.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thanks friends. I hear you.

I'm hoping to get my 6A in the air this year. Any more recommendations on good headsets?

how much you looking to spend? Since you've never used a headset would you want a typical headset with ear cups or something super lightweight that has earplugs that go directly into your ear canal?

headsets

While we are on the subject......is the Halo style headset or the noise cancelling headset best in RVs?

While we are on the subject......is the Halo style headset or the noise cancelling headset best in RVs?

Depends if you like something in your ear.........or not. I don't, yet many many prefer the Halo style. I use Telex Stratus Digitals, myself.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

headsets

I've never tried the "in the ear canal" type but probably should before I buy something new. I've had a set of Avcomm headsets forever, but it seems like I have more trouble understanding ATC than I used to.....probably age. Anyway, I have two sets of David Clarks and two sets of Avcomms and I prefer to use the Avcomms. They are much more comfortable and are just as clear as the David Clarks. I think I'll sell them all and buy either Quiet Technologies Halos or Lightspeed Zulus. I'd like to try the "in the ear canal" type before I buy something new though. I don't want to make a mistake. Lightspeed is offering $150.00 trade credit for an old set on a new Lightspeed Zulu set. Sort of leaning in that direction and will make the decision at Sun n Fun at the demonstration booth I guess.

Depends if you like something in your ear.........or not. I don't, yet many many prefer the Halo style. I use Telex Stratus Digitals, myself.

L.Adamson --- RV6A
I have used headsets for years. Including the Bose X ANR headsets. Since I completed the RV I have been flying with the Quiet Technologies' Halo headsets. If we discuss the difference in sound quality on its own merit for a minute, there is without a doubt no comparison. The Halo is much much more quiet than any other headset I have used.

The idea of "liking something in your ear" only comes in to play if one is to decide that the "yuk" factor is going to outweigh the performance factor of these headsets. If given just a few minutes to overcome any notion of uncomfortableness with having something in the ear, I bet one would find they really aren't as bad as one thought they would be. They do work as advertised.

is it better for your hearing too?

Do the in ear type of headsets also provide better hearing protection in the sense that you won't have to have the volume cranked up as high as you might with the muff style? Sort of like music in ear headphones?

Two Thoughts:

1) Since you asked specifically "In an RV" - yes, there is a big advantage in that all the RV's have a canopy that lets in LOTS of sun - being able to wear a broad-brimmed hat to ward off the dangers of sun exposure is a very nice advantage of the in-ear headsets.

2) When I was studying the halo's, my Flight Surgeons looked at the data and said I'd have better noise protection with them than with the ANR's on the market.

Paul

headsets

I've used "in the ear canal" ear plugs quite often in the past while around loud cars, but I've never used a headset as such. I never had a problem with the "yuk" and a broad brimmed hat is a must since I am bald. If Quiet Technologies Halo is good stuff, I think I'll give it a try. They appear to be much cheaper than most of the ANR headsets. Thanks for the advice fellows.

David Watson

I had an old-style Bose headset in my Yankee and loved it. So, when I was deciding what to get for Smokey several years ago, I bought the Bose X and hard-wired them into the plane both front and back.

Since then, there are several other manufacturers who make excellent, comfortable ANR headsets. Go to SNF or AirVulture and try on several brands. See what trips your trigger.

I watched the video for the Halo. Interesting. One good thing about that headset is that it would force you to keep your ears clean! :D

Very true and sadly funny. I am a 15K hour, 64 year old pilot with nearly normal hearing thanks to headsets and wearing ear protection on the ramp.
John Clark ATP, CFI

Just in case you had any further thoughts about not using a headset in your RV, and to follow John's message; I am a 18K+, 52 y/o pilot with absolutely abysmal hearing in the lower freq range.
The damage was likely done early on with 2K+ hours in piston twins without the protection of a headset. It sounds ridiculous, but back in the day, it was not "manly" to wear a headset and in my case we felt that we needed to be able to hear our passengers (prisoners).
Inclusive in my hearing loss was many hours of running a chainsaw in my teens to earn flying money.

As another poster has stated, the RV is a fantastic plane in all regards, with one of the few exceptions being it is LOUD!!! A headset is a requisite piece of equipment, and will allow you to hear the plane, the radio, and in the long run will greatly reduce fatigue making for a safer operation!

This is the kind of information I was looking for. Sounds like the Halo style may be best for me. Don't know if others have the same problem, but "ear muffs" tend to make my ears ring after a time. Also, I'm trying to keep my 6A light and uncluttered. Halos look better in that respect as well.

Clarity Aloft is another in-ear option. More expensive, but have the ipod plug in capability.

I have not seen the Halo in person, so cannot speak to those. I do like my Clarity.

Mark

headsets

have two lightspeed with ANR but our rv is quite enough that i never turn on the ANR unlike my cessna 182

Halos for us

Both my wife and daughter hate the pressure from head sets. Halos work great for them, and me too, though an antique Dave Clarks have always worked fine for me as well

Back