What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark plug cleaning tool

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
Any recommendations on a small spark plug cleaning system? I'll supply the air.
While I'm thinking about it, what adapter can be used to remove/install/torque spark plugs without having to remove the baffeling?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the one I use from Harbor Freight. It's mounted vertically (hose side down) and I use this when I clean and rotate my plugs at every oil change (50 hours). I'm nearing my 74th oil change/spark plug cleaning and have never had a problem using this spark plug cleaner (works just fine, no complaints). It only takes a few seconds to clean the plug.

As for removing the spark plug, my spark plug socket is 7/8" wrench compatible so I place the socket on the plug then use a box wrench to remove/replace the plug. I only need to use the combination wrench on the socket to remove plugs #3 & #4 :) Rosie

Last edited:
Sparky

Thanks for the links. I can hardly believe I can actually buy an aircraft tool for less than 20 bucks, but there it is. That is exactly what I need.
As for the socket, I have one but wonder if some knuckle drive might let me get around the corner of the baffles.
I've had to use a combi wrench for one of the plugs. (#4 I think. Top left rear plug).

I bought one of those from HF and end up not using it at all, poor quality. In general, I was told sand blasting is not a good idea for spark plug so I clean them with my wire wheel.

Yes the HF China cleaner is cheap. But...it works. Please don't use a wire wheel except for the lower threads. Get a sack of Champion grit from spruce and load up with that. You'll need a lead pick also. Skinny modified screwdriver or dental pick type thing. Has to be thin enough that it won't lever on the ceramic and tough enough to carve out lead. Get the lead out....all of it.

Back