What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar pin warning light

Handclutch

Well Known Member
My RV 12 had 25 hours on it when I picked it up earlier this year. In the week before the spar pin warning light had started to flash but was still starting okay. The builder had gone over all the wiring without success. It's still flashing! Not a big issue because I don't take the wings off it anyway and I have got to the point where I barely notice it, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

Since then I have also found that in about one in 5 to 10 starts I need to use the override button. The solution has been to release the spar pin sliders, rotate the handle away from the reed switch and then relocate it.

I have been following the recent "starter stalling" discussion and now understand better how the system works. I've also gone back through previous posts on reed switches etc. It seems I have two separate problems. The first, if my thinking is correct, relates to the reed switches, and the next step is to cut a bit off the top of the steel tubes as per advice in previous posts, and/or check the location of the switches. But I really don't know where to start with the flashing light - I have a D180 installation. If I understand correctly, many of the suggestions in the "starter stalling" thread related to the SV.

As a last resort I would be happy to take the warning light out of the system as the wings won't be removed except for maintenance purposes. And I have also got into the habit of visually checking the pins as part of the pre-flight. I should add that the aircraft is in the experimental category in Australia, so no issue with making changes.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I decided to just take it out of the system. However, I fought that pesky problem, tried most of the remedies, but finally found that the problem is in the mounting of the switches. If you bend the Adel clamps just right, they align with the magnet and it works perfectly. Was frustrating to get to that point though.

I have been helping a new SLSA owner with some issues. We finally isolated his issue to a failed reed switch. Probably a bad wire. The switch did not respond to a strong magnet, but the other one did. Jumpering out the faulty switch cleared the spar light.

Since you have the D-180, your RV-12 is an early one. Van's came out with an upgrade for the little aluminum bracket with the hole that the magnet slides into. The new bracket holds the magnet closer to the magnetic reed switch.

Back