What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar Doubler Edge distance

haydnc

I have had trouble with the 2D edge clearance on the HS front and rear spar doublers. I have re ordered the front ones to have another go at them, and will probably do the same with the hs rear spar doublers.

I get on to the VS-808 rear spar doubler and find that the edge clearance of the top pre punched holes is exactly 2D. The machined edge is very rough and needs to be polished.

How am I ment to polish the edge and then radius the edge as any small removal of meterial will reduce the edge clearance to less then 2D?

Hi,
I don't remember any issue on VS-808... just be conservative on edge finishing and, unless you have a fault component, you should end up with the correct edge distance.

Not to worry...

From a structural standpoint, polishing the edge (to eliminate stress risers that can cause cracks) is more important than being a few thou short on edge distance. Build on :D

I ran into the same issue on the doubler for the HS. I called Van's and they said that the tail is really overbuilt for stress. Getting a little close at the ends (just a few rivets) won't really hurt anything.

As stated above, smoothing it out to eliminate the stress risers should be your goal. Especially for the few holes at the end.

Last edited:
Back