What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar Countersink Mistake

Naruto

Well Known Member
I countersunk one of the rivet holes to much on the main spar web for the fuel tank "Z" bracket closest to the wing root. The hole is for a rivet that holds the nutplate for the center AN3 bolt that secures the "Z" bracket. Is this rivet hole structural or is it no big deal since its for a nutplate? The hole is about twice the depth it should be and I had to use a pop rivet to secure the nutplate. Once the "Z" bracket is mounted. its not visible, but I'll know its there. I hate these kinds of mistakes.

Last edited:
I would use an AN470 rivit with the raised head on the anchour nut side. Then fill the counter sink with the tail of the rivet. You will need to use a longer rivet than normal and you may have to shave the tail once it is riveted to get a flush surface.

Mick

After seeing that the tank is attached with pop rivets to the z channel, I don't think I would worry about it to much but you are right, little mistakes really bother you even if you're the only one that knows it's there. I have a couple 470 rivets that the manufactured head has the smiley face on. It kills me everytime I look at them but with all the rivets in this thing, they should be just fine.

The rivets that hold nut plates down are not structural. Their only purpose is to hold the nut place in position and to keep it from rotating because they are in blind positions and you can not get in there to put a wrench on them. Build on.

Back