What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Space between fuselage and wing rib?

DaleB

Well Known Member
I'm looking at my options for terminating the pitot and AOA tubing in the left wing. I have the quick disconnect kit, which consists of a couple of grommets, elbows and plugs to terminate the plastic tubing so I can hook it back up easily when the fuse is done. OK, great. I've heard there may not be enough space between the side of the fuse and the first wing rib to get my fat mitts in there, but so far all the pictures I've found have shown the space between the tank and the fuselage, nothing aft of the spar. This will also affect how I decide to terminate the wing wiring -- landing lights, nav, strobe, etc. I don't want to assume there will be enough space to work with and find out otherwise later on.

I saw one builder mounted the quick-disconnect elbows in the second rib, which would be a great idea -- but the holes I have are way too small for the grommet, and there's no way to get a Unibit (or anything else I can think of) in there to enlarge them.

So -- anyone got pics they can point me to or post, of the clearance between the fuselage side wall and the end of the wing aft of the main spar?

Edit: Upon reflection, I decided to just hedge my bets. After stringing the plastic tubing through the ribs, I just left a couple of feet on the inboard end poked back thru a lightening hole. The rest I coiled up inside one of the wing bays. I'll leave the outboard bottom skin clecoed in place until much later in the build anyway, so there is zero reason that I need to make any kind of permanent decision right now. I just tend to get impatient and I hate leaving things "almost" done. I keep looking for things I can actually finish, but this isn't one that needs (or even wants) finishing right now.

So... in the immortal words of Emily Litella...
Never mind.

Last edited:
Back