What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for paint booth axial fan

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
A bought a 5 by 4 paint booth for next to nothing. It is missing the fan. It is supposed to use an 18" axial ducted fan with a 1/3 hp motor. Total cfm is around 3000. Looking online, it seems like those fans are close to $1000! Anyone have any different solutions or alternate sources?

Thanks
Scott

The fan out of a home forced air system. Go to a local heating contractor and see if they have one from a system that they got when they upgraded a old one. I got one for free. It had three speeds, used high while painting and low after the paint fog was gone

Most residential HVAC systems use a centrifugal fan, not an axial fan. Static pressure vs CFM curves are quite different. You can still make the centrifugal work but don't just cluge it together. Axial fans are used for more CFM vs. inches of static pressure. Centrifugal fans usually used for more SP vs. CFM. Good luck.

Northern Tools have some exhaust fans starting below $200.

You really don't need a huge amount of extraction, especially if you use an HVLP gun - very little overspray and you are operating at about 40psi.

I used a 10" fan in a plywood panel trapped under a roller shutter door. Look at Randy Lervold's build log - that is where I got the idea from - oh and I pinched his color scheme as well ! I did ask first though :D

Back