What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for G3X Sandisc 8GB sd/hc memory cards ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
My local (small town Midwest) computer supply stores don't handle 8 GB.
G3X Expert confirms 8 GB is preferred to match their system.
Recommendations for online source are most appreciated .

Sandisk 32GB cards (SDHC, Class 4) work just fine -- 300+ hours and updates since 2015, G3X touch, GTN Xi, etc etc.

Amazon is my supplier of choice.

I have found that it can be the the initial format that is the problem. I bought SanDisk from Amazon for my G3X/GTN650. The cards did not work. I reformatted them on my iMac, still did not work. I got an SD Format program, still didn't work. I finally dug out a decade old PC laptop and formatted them. They would work now. Once I had working cards, I switched back to loading them from my iMac, and they work fine, with no issues. You would think that with all the magic the G3X system has, interfacing with an SD card would be easier and less finicky.

I bought SanDisk but was grossly annoyed by the blue color sticking out of my panel, so I tried an off brand in black. The only problem I had was with Garmin software recognition of drive...even after formatting in FAT. Turns out this is a common problem and the have specific formatting instructions in CLI (Terminal on Mac) for the drive on the Garmin website.

Hmm... never had an issue formatting a SanDisc SHDC UHS/1 C4 32GB card on my 2019 iMac 27". Just open up Disk Utility tool, click on the appropriate volume then click on "Erase" then make sure the name is set to "Garmin" and the format is "MS-DOS (FAT 32)"

I bought these from Walgreens...

Screen shots...Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.18.01 PM.pngIMG_5899.jpeg

I bought SanDisk but was grossly annoyed by the blue color sticking out of my panel, so I tried an off brand in black. The only problem I had was with Garmin software recognition of drive...even after formatting in FAT. Turns out this is a common problem and the have specific formatting instructions in CLI (Terminal on Mac) for the drive on the Garmin website.
Hmm... never had an issue formatting a SanDisc SHDC UHS/1 C4 32GB card on my 2019 iMac 27". Just open up Disk Utility tool, click on the appropriate volume then click on "Erase" then make sure the name is set to "Garmin" and the format is "MS-DOS (FAT 32)"

I bought these from Walgreens...

The SanDisc would work just as you described with Disc Utility, but the other brand did not. You had to use diskutil in Terminal with certain commands that are not normally supported in the GUI version of Disk Utility

Back