What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Soundproofing an RV-12

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Although I have never ridden in an RV12, others have complained that it is a very noisy airplane. I have the complete interior for mine, but wondered if anyone has added soundproofing to theirs, or if it is even needed with the complete interior package.

Noise is not bad at all

The RV-12 is much quieter than the Cessna 182 I fly. My RV-12 has the standard interior. I did not add any additional sound dampening. Often I use an older Dave Clark 13.4 headset without any problem. I also have a LightSpeed which is terrific. Only problem so far is the LightSpeed/Clark combo doesn't seem to work too well (lots of static noise) so when I have a passenger we both use Dave Clarks.

Bill T
N947WT RV-12 #120406
30 hours flying

I use QT halos in the 12, just like in my 9A. They work great in both planes, and I honestly don't consider the 12 all that noisy. The 9 has sound deadening, the 12 does not. Different sound, but about the same volume. I really don't notice much difference as the major sound seems to be from the prop, not the engine.

Bob

Love my Bose headsets. Nice and quiet, Bluetooth works great with cell, can wear for long periods without hurting. Expensive - Yes!

Do not waste your money on sound proofing.
In LSA weight is critical and any additional weight is just decreasing performance range etc.

Rather, as suggested above, buy a decent noise cancelling head set but in saying that the RV12 is a fairly quiet aircraft compared to others ive flown in.

Maybe the others who complained about the noise didn't latch the canopy LOL :)

I have added sound proofing to the back side of the fire wall and front side panels. It was a foam layer of about 1/4" with a aluminum foil covering with a sticky side to adhere to the fire wall and side panels. I think it made quite a difference. I bought it from another RV builder so I don't know where he purchased it.

I would suspect that your insulation would not only quiet it down a bit, but would also keep the heat off your feed and legs on hot days.

I have added sound proofing to the back side of the fire wall and front side panels. It was a foam layer of about 1/4" with a aluminum foil covering with a sticky side to adhere to the fire wall and side panels. I think it made quite a difference. I bought it from another RV builder so I don't know where he purchased it.

Back