What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sorting out "Misc Bolts/Nuts/Washers"

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
The wing kit comes with several bags simply labeled "Misc Bolts" "Misc Washers" and "Misc Nuts". There are 4 kinds of washer, 3 kinds of nut and several kinds of bolts. I'll resist the temptation to rant about this, in this forum.

One of the things that I'm curious about is measuring the bolts. According to research the last digits on a bolt indicate the whole number value in inches + the additional length in 1/8". So an AN3-34 for instance means 3" + 4/8 or 3 1/2".

The problem I having is that some of my misc bolts are measuring 1/16th of an inch. So its not a -33 or a -34 its a -33.5. Is there a rule to round up or round down, in these cases? 43.13 doesn't seem to shed any light on this that I can find.

Gil, with the empenage kit, you should have gotten a bolt gauge plate.

It was a thick ~4X~8 with a bunch of holes drilled in it making an angle from top left to bottom right.

An index sheet was also provided to mark up the holes.

I guess I should have qualified my original post by saying that I've used this gauge for my measuring as well as a steel ruler that measures to the 64th.

The bolts in question come to the bottom of the 34 and if you move it to the next one down it is at the top of the 33 (im using 33 and 34 as examples...).

According to the directions the size will be correct when the bolt come to the middle of the hole.

The bolts in question come to the bottom of the 34 and if you move it to the next one down it is at the top of the 33 (i'm using 33 and 34 as examples...).

If it won't quite meet -34, it's a -33. No such thing as -33.5.

Solved

I think I figured it out. The letters and markings on the top of some of the bolt head are standing up more than others and making the measurement off. Knocking them down a bit brought the measurement to the right size.

I think I figured it out. The letters and markings on the top of some of the bolt head are standing up more than others and making the measurement off. Knocking them down a bit brought the measurement to the right size.

Measurement is made from the bottom of the head, not the top.

Just remember to always have at least two threads showing beyond nut. You will find bolts and rivet lengths called for sometimes during the build that are too short. You will want to buy some spares to keep on hand that are one size longer than the most common sizes. Also washers and sl nuts.

1000 words

Below you'll notice the -3 is not exactly 3/8 but more like 7/16. But the -4 is right at 4/8 and the -7 at 7\8.

BTW, don't measure with a micrometer...ask that really matters its you have one full thread showing past the nut. That way you know all of the nylon locking stuff is able to do its locking job. If you have more than three threads showing, it's likely the nut has bottomed out on the shank and the torque is not against the post but rather the shank--this is bad.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Last edited:
Back