What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Something Must be Wrong!

John R. Graham

On the vertical stabilizer, there nothing that needs to be fabricated, ground down, trimmed, bent, or modified because it's for another airplane. I think I'm going to finish this part in less than a day! ;)

- John

On the vertical stabilizer, there nothing that needs to be fabricated, ground down, trimmed, bent, or modified because it's for another airplane. I think I'm going to finish this part in less than a day! ;)

- John

Do not worry John you will get your portion of trimming/bending :D canopy is coming soon.

There is a piece of the bracket for the spar that needs to be trimmed. I screwed mine up and it was the first part I had to replace. You don't forget that.

Now that I think about it, that was on the horizontal stabalizer. My bad. The vertical was the easiest, that is why I put it together first.

Last edited:
When I first started, I would get to the steps the said "fabricate". I would cringe. By the time you are finished, you will read a step to fabricate and not even blink. Of course, when the instructions first start, they give plenty of detail. By the end, the instructions are down to "Fabricate part xxx, see drawing zz for details."
There must be so much fabrication in the kit to meet the FAA rules. There are parts that make no sense to have to fabricate. I guess the biggest fabricate accomplishment for me was the forward tank attach bracket. It was not hard, just an accomplishment to take this big chunk of aluminum angle and make the bracket.

- John

John, don't worry....I had three people stop by my shop with their 7 VS's and they walked away with a primed, deburred completed airplane part in a long afternoon. As Vlad said......the canopy awaits you:eek::D

Soon you will be at the elevators and you will think back how beautifull life was while you were doing the vertical stabilisor :)

Sorry for the cynism but I just finished bending the trim tab edges. You will understand the remark as you get to it:D

Back