What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solution to Cracked Aft Window

jersey

Well Known Member
I want to let all the RV 12 builders out there know that I have found someone who can heat mold Plexiglass to fit the aft window. He's been building experimentals since the mid 80's so he knows our pain. He just finished mine and charged me $250.00. Beautiful craftmanship and it fits perfectly!!! It took several weeks to get it but its worth it. He's from the local chapter so I didn't have to pay shipping etc.

I will be installing the lexan for purposes of getting the plane air worthy but will replace it if I have problems with the lexan. Before I posted this I asked him if he would be willing to build more, and he said he would for the RV 12 and RV 7A. He now has molds for both aircrafts. If any one is interested let me know I will forward contact info etc.

I used the dark tint to help keep the gas tank cool.

Below is link

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4876/aftglass.jpg

Gary Eldridge
RV 12 - 99.00%

I'm interested! Send me the contact info! Use private message if you don't want to post his name and stuff. Thanks, Steve:)

Beautiful!

I am thinking to seal the rear window exposed edges somehow in the proximity of the tank filler, with some sealant, proseal or sikaflex, so that the exposed edges don't get spilled fuel on it. I haven't done much more forward thinking or research than that, becuase it will still be a while before we get there.

Does the Rear window need to be removable?

Rudi

I would think you would want your window replaceable just in case it becomes damaged. The shop that I will be using to paint my plane uses Pro-seal to provide a water tight seal at the plastic to aluminum transition. I don't know if Lexan is compatible with the solvents in Pro-seal though.

I just decided to circumvent any trauma that might be associated with Lexan cracking after the plane is painted. :eek:

Gary

Back