What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solid numbers

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Now that I have enough time in N908BL to be completely comfortable, I am starting to get some hard numbers. Thought I'd share.

I just added the main gear to fuse fairings. Prior to adding them, I had 11.7:1 glide ratio at about 79-80 mph. Today I took her up to 8000 DA and saw an honest 185 mph per the three-leg GPS/spreadsheet method. 2650 rpm @ 22.4". Wind was only 4 and I believe these runs were about as accurate as I can do. Obviously Van's is conservative and I am happy! May re-try the glide to see if the fairings helped.

Still getting the bugs worked out. Trio alt hold isn't working right--it's going back as soon as we get a bad flying day so I can pull it. They are super about it. The Trio EZ-Pilot took a little calibrating, but it is doing great.

Standard landings (solo of course) are easiest at 65 IAS and short field works well at 59, although flair is short and to the point. LOVE the combination of stability and responsiveness. Can't imagine anything easier to fly, and fly well. I do have my idle set way low (around 480-500) and never pull all the way back on the ground. It does really seem to help with final as the windmilling prop is actually absorbing some hp. O-320D1A with Catto 3-blade that was made with E-mag in mind. TO rpm is 2190 which should increase when I swap out the mag. Will do before-and-after on climb/cruise/etc.

Question for those with a carb temp gage: Do you see carb temps above ambient? I may be getting some leakage as my carb temp is usually about 20 degrees warmer than OAT. It could just be the position of the sensor I suppose. Also, #4 seems to be the richest cylinder (it is carbureted) at full throttle. Is this normal? Backing off to about 65% I see very even EGT's.

If you are still building, keep pounding those rivets. You are building one sweet plane! Can't wait until the next time she wants to take me for a ride.

Bob Kelly

My carb temp is about the same

Hi Bob,

On my carbed -9A, the carb temp is always above OAT. With carb heat on, It can get really warm. (115degF)

Agreed - it is a nice flying plane. My top end is a similar with a Hartzell, i just did some re-rigging and hope to gain a touch. Flying slow is really fun, too - when just boring holes in the sky.

#3 is the richest for me most of the time, but it varies- that is the charm of the carb ;)

I'm headed to see family in South Bend and Greensburg this spring, maybe we can join up.

videobobk said:
Now that I have enough time in N908BL to be completely comfortable, I am starting to get some hard numbers. Thought I'd share.
[snip]
If you are still building, keep pounding those rivets. You are building one sweet plane! Can't wait until the next time she wants to take me for a ride.

Bob Kelly
I don't know what it is, but folks who post "technical" info about their early flights (ie. it's wonderful... working on this or that) seems to motivate me more than the "I just flew for the first time and everything is perfect" posts. I suppose it's because I'm working my way through early "challenges" right now, so I can identify more.

Anyway, thanks Bob. Sounds like you have a good one, and thanks for the encouragement.

petehowell said:
Hi Bob,

On my carbed -9A, the carb temp is always above OAT. With carb heat on, It can get really warm. (115degF)

Pete,

Are you using Van's standard "stovepipe" carb heat setup that comes with the firewall forward kit?

Thank you,

Hi Mark

Yes, I am using the standard Van's set up. I get 40 rpm drop on runup and If I leave it on for any length of time it gets pretty warm. I use carb heat to get balanced mixtures allowing LOP ops when I cruise up high. If I don't use it, I can't the the cyls to peak at the same fuel flow. With carb heat, it works pretty well.

I did replace the detent carb heat cable with a button lock cable. The detent failed at 75 hr. Button lock is a nicer setup.

petehowell said:
Yes, I am using the standard Van's set up. I get 40 rpm drop on runup and If I leave it on for any length of time it gets pretty warm. I use carb heat to get balanced mixtures allowing LOP ops when I cruise up high. If I don't use it, I can't the the cyls to peak at the same fuel flow. With carb heat, it works pretty well.

I'm going to try carb heat next time I'm "high." Also moving the throttle in just a bit to see if that evens things out. Looks like the ceilings are too low today.

Bob

Carb temp

My carb temperature shows 127 degrees shortly after I start the engine. Before engine start it is about the same as OAT. Since I am using GRT engine monitor, I called them. They sent me a new probe. But, it is still the same. I checked everything and still can not find any installation error. The tip of the probe is in the air stream and there is no leak of hot air into the carb. In the winter when it was cold, the carb temperature will only go to the 80s. I use Van's carb heat. When turn the carb heat on, it only gives me a few degrees of rise. After 130 hrs, engine seems to run smoothly, fuel/oil consumptions are normal. I am not quite sure whether the high temperature reading reflect the actual carb temperature (only way the air get heated up is through the carb body heat conduction) or just the temperature probe calibration. One of these days I will have do some investigation.

For those who are still building, following are some technical data I presented on my website to share.

Phase I flight test page (flight test results and performance numbers)

Technical Information page (wiring diagrams, POH, engine performance table, takeoff and landing procedures)

Checklists page ((Checklist in text, doc, and GRT EFIS formats)

Modifications and Options page (deviation from the original design, part numbers provided whenever applicable)

Maintenance page (issues found during maintenance)

RV9/9A accident summary (something we need to learn to avoid)

Ted
-------------------------------------------------

T.C. Chang

http://tc1234c.googlepages.com/
[email protected]
RV-9A, Lycoming (ECI) O320-D2A, 160 hp, Carb, Dual Mag, Sensenich FP
GRT dual DU H1, TT DigiFlight II VSGV, 132 Hobbs 3/30/2007

tc1234c said:
For those who are still building, following are some technical data I presented on my website to share.
Thanks Ted! I've got your site bookmarked now, and expect to refer to it quite a bit...

Back