What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solid Models of Panel & Firewall, RV-7

Noah

Well Known Member
Has anybody modeled their panel, subpanel, and firewall for their RV-7 in 3D CAD? Prior to drilling holes, I would think it might be useful to see how everything fits, beforehand. Will that canopy release mechanism prevent me from putting that EFIS there? Will the battery be removable from its box there with the brake reservoir above it? And so on.

I'm not talking 2D Autocad, DWG, or DXF files. I'm talking 3D solid models, IGES or STEP. Would anybody want to share? Come on you ME's, show uzzz whattcha got!

Noah,

I have considered modeling some of the parts of my plane, but really never carried through with it. I teach a high school pre-engineering class & use Inventor (AutoDesk product) extensively. But, I'm by no means an expert. I can see that it could take me a bit of time to model the parts. I suppose you could use the basic envelope dimensions to check clearances. I could see making cardboard cutouts & sticking them on the firewall with tape as a quick way of accomplishing the same.
I might try to do some of the "would-like-to-do-someday" stuff AFTER I get this thing built....like model the entire airplane. However, I've (finally) resigned myself to trying to get the plane flying and not get too side-tracked on other projects.

Good luck

Last edited:
I "muddled" my RV6 panel in Solidworks - at least as far as I was happy that things would fit. The RV6 panel to sub-panel gap is smaller than the RV7's and I also used the RV7 tip-up canopy stiffener brace which takes up some real estate so I was concerned about everything fitting.

Here are some comparison virtual - v - real pictures. I'm still slogging my way though the real.

Jim Sharkey
Rv6 - Wiring etc

panel1pd8.jpg

panel2mc6.jpg

panelfrontfq2.jpg

panelrearzo5.jpg

Lots of CGI work

I think that's an awesome idea. What a project for someone almost as good as actually building. If you used a animation program like 3DMax or Maya a person could show the different parts of the engine working. Such as drop a cylinder off but leave the piston running back and forth or even show the crank running around in circles.

This is actually pretty easy to do in Solidworks if you have the animator add-in. Once the model is drawn, you can animate it and do all kinds of neat stuff with it. You can see some example video's on their website.

I think that's an awesome idea. What a project for someone almost as good as actually building. If you used a animation program like 3DMax or Maya a person could show the different parts of the engine working. Such as drop a cylinder off but leave the piston running back and forth or even show the crank running around in circles.

Back