What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solenoid Orientation - Does it really Matter?

f1rocket

Well Known Member
I think I read somewhere that it doesn't really matter much which direction you orient your master solenoid since the plunger is held closed with an electrical current and open with a spring. However, since the depth on knowledge here is so deep, I thought I'd ask about this before mounting mine.

I have two batteries and two master solenoids and it would simplify the wiring run if I oriented one of the master solenoids upside down. Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of before mounting it this way? Does it really matter?

ACRO?

It really doesn't matter with the master. This is more critical on the starter solenoid than the master. The master will be engaged during flight anyway.

For the starter solenoid it depends on how much acro you intend to do. During normal 1-2 Gs, it doesn't matter much.
If you are going to do a lot of aerobatics, then the G forces can eventually weaken the spring.

Last edited:
Thanks Mel. No, not much acro. The starter solenoid is already mounted in its proper orientation. I was just worried about the master.

Back