What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solder Shields - when & where to use them?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I've been doing a little reading on solder shields and they look like great little gizmo's to use on shielded wire. However, I'm not quite sure when I should use them.

For example, the Lightspeed ignition installation shows connecting the shields across the breaker and switch. Would this be a good place to use them?

Where else should they be used? When you use them do you normally use the ones with the built in pigtail? Where would one's without the pigtail be used?

Solder shields are very cool and are generally available in 2 models, with or without pigtails. The ones without pigtails can be used to join 2 or more wires, similar to a crimp connector except that they are much smaller. Just overlap the wires inside the solder ring and shrink the tube around them. The solder will melt and create a good electrical connection, while the shrunk tubing will give a good machanical bond. The ones with pigtails are great for connecting the shield to ground. Strip the outer insulation and shield back leaving the conductors the length you need and then strip back the outer insulation exposing about 3/16" of shield. Place the solder shield over the wire so that the solder ring is over the exposed shield and shrink the tubing. The solder will connect the pigtail to the shield. The pigtail can then be connected wherever you like. They make for a very neat installation. The harnesses I received with my avionics from Stark used them extensively for grounding the shields on all the wiring and made the harnesses very neat.

Back