What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SoCal Transition Training

pmccoy

Well Known Member
I spent Saturday flying an RV! My RV9A is close to completion, so it was time for Transition Training. I spent the day flying with Reuven Silberman. Reuven is a CFII and A&P who built an RV7A. Reuven provides transition training for tricycle gear RV?s out of Gillespie field in El Cajon, CA. We flew for 3.9 hours, and I loved every minute of it. We performed medium and steep 360 degree turns, slow flight, stalls with flaps and clean, power on and off. We paid a lot of attention to slowing the aircraft down prior to pattern entry. We did take off and landing practice at three airports, Gillespie (KSEE), Ramona (KRNM) and Brown (KSDM). We paid attention to holding proper approach speed using sight of airport for adjustments to pitch and power settings. No looking at altimeter after the airport was in sight. All Take offs and landings performed as soft field to keep the nose wheel light. We also did a simulated engine out. The short winged RV7A sank at an alarming rate on the engine out simulation. After setting up proper glide speed, of 90 knots, we were descending at 1,200 ft per minute. Things happen fast in an RV. Reuven?s plane is a RV7A with a constant speed prop.

I had a blast! Thank you Reuven. If anyone is in need of some transition training in a tricycle gear RV in So Cal, contact Reuven. He was very patient and explained and demonstrated everything before I gave it a try. It was excellent training.

+1 for Reuven

Reuven did my transition training as well- a good guy, a good instructor, and a well-built airplane.

His prop, engine, and wing are different than mine, but the principles he teaches are applicable to my RV-9A; my first flight was a non-issue.

Back