What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So many choices for a differential pressure compression gauge

kenora

I would like to buy one for my O-320 E2D (160hp) but looking through the Aircraft Spruce catalog has only served to confuse me..

Which one do I want?

They range in price from about $58 to over $100, I have the standard 18mm a/c plugs.

What am I not getting if I choose the cheap one...

ACS (Canadian site) part #12-00829 (with master orifice)

I assume I also need an 18mm adapter if I buy that one adding about $20, I see two of them ,

-one a indus equiv/eastrn #12-00830
-the other listed a eastern #12-18202

-or perhaps the #12-02346 (with master orifice) for $92.25 (comes with hose and adapter)

or since the O-320 has a bore just over 5" (I think) do I need a different unit altogether.

I really have no idea on this.

Anyone with an O-320 care to share their experience?

Last edited:
I would like to buy one for my O-320 E2D (160hp) but looking through the Aircraft Spruce catalog has only served to confuse me..

Which one do I want?

They range in price from about $58 to over $100, I have the standard 18mm a/c plugs.

What am I not getting if I choose the cheap one...

ACS (Canadian site) part #12-00829 (with master orifice)

I assume I also need an 18mm adapter if I buy that one adding about $20, I see two of them ,

-one a indus equiv/eastrn #12-00830
-the other listed a eastern #12-18202

-or perhaps the #12-02346 (with master orifice) for $92.25 (comes with hose and adapter)

or since the O-320 has a bore just over 5" (I think) do I need a different unit altogether.

I really have no idea on this.

Anyone care to share their experiance?

Eastern seems to have good units, and ignore the bit about 5 inch bores (from AC 43.13) for a Lycoming engine.

Lycoming specifically says to use the 0.040 orifice.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aircraft/tools/compression-testers/ee-e2a.html

EE_E2A.jpg

The master orifice is also not needed for Lycoming engines, it's a Continental reference leak..

Thanks for the guidance, it is starting to make sense. A friend has a Pazmany PL-1 with a Cont O-200 in it; if I were to get one with a master orifice can it be used on both my Lyc and his Cont?

Just wondering....he might pay half the cost if he could use it too!

Back