What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So is it always like this...

DCat22

Well Known Member
Not 100% commited yet, and we're working out the timeline and net financial impact together. But, reserved an N-number and ordered the RV-7 preview plans and training kit.

It's currently in Colarado, making it's way to Texas. To be delivered on the 17th. When I got the shipping notification, I made an audible squeek. (Which caused her to start to realize what she might be in for...although, yes, she does love flying and actually wants to have our own plane at some point.)

I think I understand all the overnight UPS jokes now...

Well, off to work on the garage. I've got a lot of work to do, putting together tools, cleaning out the garage, running more power...building out a decent workspace. Lots of planning -- I was impressed by the tactic used here http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/ -- always moving forward when in the shop. Plus...I have some probably overly creative ideas, but I know they will be toned down a little with the weighing of price/time/getting-it-done-at-some-point/etc.

So yeah...this excitement about waiting for a book of preview plans. I assume it just gets worse from here? :D

Worse? It is just terrible. Watching a plane grow, piece by piece, seeing it go from all those thousands of parts down to eventually just one is really depressing. I mean, hey, someday you will actually have to go fly that thing. What could be worse than being stuck with owning your own creation, having to take it out and exercise it from time to time and having people stare in amazement at your handiwork? You might also have to show it to people you have never met, and take the chance they might even want to become friends. You better quit now, while you still have a chance. It's just not worth it man...

Bob Kelly

So yeah...this excitement about waiting for a book of preview plans. I assume it just gets worse from here? :D

Man are you in for some fun times...of which you will never ever say "worse" again (well maybe on the trim tabs)...for the rest of the men out here..Please refrain from "squeaking" when new things for your RV show up at the door..Try "Hey check this out!" Squeak only when you turn downwind on your first flight...make sure you're not transmitting.

Wait 'til the UPS and FEDEX guys bring their families by in a couple of years. "See, son? This is the guy who sent you to college ..." ;)

Man....

If you're that excited over Preview Plans, you're gonna need dry pants when you have real airplane parts coming!:eek:

You know you're going to start building if you've that excited and putting that much thought into it. No turning back now. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some edumacation from one of those weekend building classes...maybe your significant other could get you that as a Christmas present? Or Hanukkah, or Kwanza, or whatever other excuse you need to spend money on airplanes!

Houston has a lot of RV's; if you haven't hooked up with those guys yet, start going to the monthly get-togethers. There's a wealth of experience, knowledge, and guidance those guys can provide. There are a few of us down the road from you over here in Beaumont as well. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

:D and thanks, all!

Dave, I've actually almost made it over to Beaumont about three times now on PilotsNPaws trips, but something has happened to scrub all the one's out that way... (Yep, I'm watching for the next gathering...)

Don't let her see my pictures of -9A wings stored in the living room for a year in house #1, and -8 wings stored upstairs in house #2 (8' from the bedroom door)!

I've got ailerons and flaps and misc. fiberglass parts in a bedroom right now in my house, I can tell you it will only get "worse"! :D

My UPS guy now plans his day around my house, he wants to make sure he's got an extra 5 minutes to stop and BS and look at the airplane as it goes together when he drops off a delivery.

Back