What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sniffle valve - Where to buy (Van's doesn't fit)

AltonD

Well Known Member
So, where is everyone buying their sniffle valve these days?
I have the Van's Valve, but it does not fit with the vetterman exhaust on the Van's IO-360-M1B. Go figure.

I saw a thread where the piper part number has a 90 degree to allow a hose to be attached. 492-091.

Mahlon, can you help me out here?

.....I have the Van's Valve, but it does not fit with the vetterman exhaust on the Van's IO-360-M1B.......
Having installed the Lycoming P/N sniffle valve sold by Van's on my IO-360-M1B fitted with a Vetterman exhaust system, I am unclear why you are having problems. I was a bit concerned about the valve being located relatively close to the exhaust system so I added a length of fire sleeved hose to the sniffle valve. The hose just barely clears the bottom of the lower cowl.

20h633d.jpg

I have the same problem as Alton. My alignment (TMX-IO-360-M1B + Vettermans crossover exhaust) is not like your's Rick. The "crossover" is directly underneath the sump port for the sniffle valve. Until a better idea occurs to me, my current thinking is to install a 90 degree elbow AN fitting and point the sniffle valve horizontally rearwards.

Steve Hutt
RV-7
UK

I once heard a rumor that Lycoming once made two engines that were exactly alike, but nobody has ever been able to prove it! I had clearance issues too, so I used the Airflow Performance sniffle valve and a 45-degree elbow, per advice from AFP.

20080629_sniffle_valve3.jpg
20080629_sniffle_valve_line.jpg

http://www.rv7blog.com/2008/06/29/sniffle-valve/

I like Rick's idea to use firesleeve there... I just might go back and add a piece to mine as well.

mcb

I received a private email from Larry Vetterman. He has the same thinking that several have already shared.

Man, I love this site.

Alton, the sniffle valve is meant to be remotely located on the RV's, which gets the raw fuel out of the cowling. Use a 90 fitting and alum tubing and mount it on the A frame of the lndg gear via a 1/8 pipe coupling and a couple of Adel clamps. This is the most asked question that I get and when I explain it the reply is:that makes sense, why did'nt I think of that. Please post this to let other builders know. Larry Vetterman

Last edited:
Get the one with the 90

I have the Van's Valve, but it does not fit with the vetterman exhaust on the Van's IO-360-M1B. Go figure.

I saw a thread where the piper part number has a 90 degree to allow a hose to be attached. 492-091.

There are at least two different ones you can get from Mattituck. I called the parts department and explained the situation and they suggested one that has a 90 deg. bend in the outlet nipple which I believe is the one you reference above. I believe it may be standard on a Piper twin? It worked fine on my IO-360-m1b with Vetterman exhaust. I used a piece of fuel hose connected to fuel tubing to run it back to the lower firewall flange where I drilled a hole and clamped it in place per the Van's drawing that came with my finish kit.

The 492-091 is a 90 degree sniffle valve and it will fit where you want to use it. That is a Piper part number. If you go to a Piper parts suppler it should run around 40.00 or so. I don't have any in stock right now.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I once heard a rumor that Lycoming once made two engines that were exactly alike, but nobody has ever been able to prove it! I had clearance issues too, so I used the Airflow Performance sniffle valve and a 45-degree elbow, per advice from AFP.

20080629_sniffle_valve3.jpg
20080629_sniffle_valve_line.jpg

http://www.rv7blog.com/2008/06/29/sniffle-valve/

I like Rick's idea to use firesleeve there... I just might go back and add a piece to mine as well.

mcb

I'll have the same setup, so quick question...the 45 degree street elbow I can probably bag at the hardware store, no worries.

But, I'm at work, so don't have the valve in hand...is that an NPT-to-hose barb, or AN-to-hose barb, and where'd you get that particular fitting? :)

TIA!

Steve

Manifold Drain

The manifold drain (shown in the picture) is P/N 1090138 ($21.00) and the 45 degree fitting is AH-3350X2 ($1.00).

You can call us to order the parts.

Don

is that an NPT-to-hose barb, or AN-to-hose barb, and where'd you get that particular fitting?

That's something I had left over from back when I had an airplane with a car motor in it. Specifically, it's the inner brass barb piece of this fitting with an AN818 nut substituted for the original brass outer portion. Used to use these in various places, along with Oetiker clamps, to connect rubber fuel hose to AN plumbing.

mcb

That's something I had left over from back when I had an airplane with a car motor in it. Specifically, it's the inner brass barb piece of this fitting with an AN818 nut substituted for the original brass outer portion. Used to use these in various places, along with Oetiker clamps, to connect rubber fuel hose to AN plumbing.

mcb

A HA! That 'splains it...I was curious about the combination of blue anodized AN nut with a brass nipple. Thanks...looks easy enough!

Back