What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snap bushings in center section

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey all,

Is there any harm in moving the center of these busings over so it doesn't interfere with the side braces?

Seems logical to me?

20020914_slot_in_snap_bushing.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Dan!

:) CJ

That looks like it might be the front half of F-704. If you move that snap bushing/hole inboard, you might end up interfering with the seat rib that rivets to the aft half of F-704. Maybe not, but check before committing!

It is a problem for a 7A

This doesn't appear to affect you, but it might affect someone else reading this. If the hole is moved toward the center, the hole will not align with the gear mounts for a 7A. I did this, and ended up opening these holes more in order to fit the bushing through the gear mounts.

Just beating this dead horse here and I have come to a decision.

PA090175.JPG

It looks like the seat rib won't impact the snap bushing even if I DO move it over!

As far as I can see, there are no other implications.

:) CJ

Sorry to bring back such an old thread... but I'm at this stage and a bit stuck.

The 5/8" enlarged holes near the vertical supports, it would appear Vans intends for us to drill through the supports? The 5/8" hole intersects the vertical by ~1/8". Should I just cleco the pieces together and drill through both?

This is on a 9a fuse kit, but I'm under the impression F-704 is identical on both.

5/8 holes

Andy,
In looking at Dwg 16, it says to trim the snap busing to fit. As best as I remember right now, I enlarged the hole to 5/8 in the F904 per the plans and then marked the overlap on the vertical part and filed it out to the line. I don't think you want to try to drill both together.

I'm at work and can't find a picture right now but DWG 16 in the upper right corner is what I'm refering to.

Andy,

I drilled the spar and then took a dremel with a sanding drum and relieved the doubler.

DSCN4662.jpg

Another way to do it...

I snapped the bushing in the other way, and trimmed the bushing...

2-10-2007-013w.jpg

Either way is fine...

Back