What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

smoothprime

pilotdds

Has anyone used smooth prime on the doors and cabin top.Was it successful and can then it be primed with an epoxy.

Has anyone used smooth prime on the doors and cabin top.Was it successful and can then it be primed with an epoxy.

Yes and Yes

Be aware that the formulation was changed a couple years ago. You need to precisely follow application instructions. It's been known to cause peeling if not given enough time to out gas.

I used Smooth Prime on this project after I got a strong recommendation from a high end Lancair builder. Some thoughts:
- I first used a small roller to apply (as was recommended). This resulted in several days of sanding to even get close to ready for prime. In the end it took a couple of more Smooth Prime applications to get ready for a coat of epoxy primer.
- I shifted to using a spray gun for application. Much better results and a huge reduction in sanding. I added just a touch of water to thin it out enough for the HVLP sprayer (per the instructions).
- Smooth Prime is only for pin holes - it will not fill even small gouges and such. You should be sanding almost all of it off. Your epoxy primer needs to adhere to the base material.
- DO NOT WET SAND Smooth Prime - unless you let it dry for 2-3 weeks. This was a lesson learned after calling Smooth Prime as to why the epoxy primer was crinkling up on a Lancair paint effort.

Bottom line - I will never use Smooth Prime again. Follow the Van's instructions on fiberglass prep, use a high fill primer on the glass (like PPG K36), wet sand most of it off to get it just right, then epoxy primer and top coat with the rest of the plane.

Carl

Back