What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smart Tools Digital Level Issues

RyanM

Well Known Member
I have a Craftsman's Smart Tools Digital Level (48in version), which I'm using to help level my wing stand. The problem is, I've followed the calibration instructions, and I'm not at all convinced its at all accurate. Looking at the bubble that is included in the level frame, its not at all accurate. I've re-calibrated a number of times, but it really only seems to just "zero" it to whatever angel its set on.

I've double checked with a cheap aluminum bubble level, and both sets of bubbles seem to be accurate. Its the digital level that seems to be off - regardless of numerous recalibrations.

I think I may just use a bubble level instead.

Advice?

Ryan

I only use mine to reference angles from a base point. Most of these affordable ones are not that accurate for finding true level.

If it's not working, take it back. I purchased my Smart Tool level several years ago and it is accurate to one tenth of one degree. I have checked it against several other digital levels and it's right on. Maybe you are not calibrating it correctly.

Ryan,
One way of checking it is to put it on a surface that is at an angle - any angle. Rotate it by 189 degrees and check the digital reading again. It is often just the "bubble" that is out and not the digital part.

If it's not working, take it back. I purchased my Smart Tool level several years ago and it is accurate to one tenth of one degree. I have checked it against several other digital levels and it's right on. Maybe you are not calibrating it correctly.
One tenth of a degree is not too accurate when mounting wings. Good bubble levels are better.

One tenth of a degree is not too accurate when mounting wings. Good bubble levels are better.

Agreed - a friend's digital level showed 0.0 degrees when I was first mounting my horizontal stab, but measuring from the stab to floor produced a reading that was almost an inch different. My bubble level (blue) showed it off a fair bit; shaving .020 off one of the shims (.05 at a time) with a mill resulted in perfection. The bubble level now showed level, as did the digital level.

Agreed - a friend's digital level showed 0.0 degrees when I was first mounting my horizontal stab, but measuring from the stab to floor produced a reading that was almost an inch different. My bubble level (blue) showed it off a fair bit; shaving .020 off one of the shims (.05 at a time) with a mill resulted in perfection. The bubble level now showed level, as did the digital level.

Now, I'm trying to think back a few years. But don't the instructions call for setting the HS just by sticking a drill bit under the rear spar?

Anyway, I usually use two bubble levels and the digital deal. Frankly, I found chasing the .1 to be a royal PITA, that wasn't ENTIRELY noticeable on the bubble levels. I chased it fine, but it was still a royal PITA.

Last edited:
Now, I'm trying to think back a few years. But don't the instructions call for setting the HS just by sticking a drill bit under the rear spar?

Anyway, I usually use two bubble levels and the digital deal. Frankly, I found chasing the .1 to be a royal PITA, that wasn't ENTIRELY noticeable on the bubble levels. I chased it fine, but it was still a royal PITA.

Not on the -6A - it's a level in both direction. It wouldn't surprise me if it was something much easier on a -7 :).

I wouldn't have chased the last little bit if I didn't have the mill to fine tune the shims.

Back