What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smart Tool calibration question

rrd1_99

Just got my SmartTool digital level. Instructions say to calibrate it for level and plumb by placing it on a flat horizontal surface and a vertical surface, respectively. My question is, if the calibration surface isn't level (or plumb) to better than 1/10th of a degree will the digital angle measurement be accurate? I doubt I can differentiate a .1 degree bubble deflection while trying to find a calibration surface!

Roger
-9A slow QB
La Grande OR

Not sure about the one you have.....

But mine has a somewhat lengthy calibration that does not require a level surface. With mine you cal it in one position, rotate it 180*, cal again, then flip it over, cal again, and then rotate another 180* and cal again. The level then averages all 4 readings and wallah, it's calibrated.

I thought that myself....but in using one on the aircraft...set it on the datum line and use that as your reference for "level". Once your datum is set, use it for all your other references....remember...these were built for plumbing and leveling 2 X4's not aircraft although the level of accuracy is fantastic. Find a set point and use that for your reference as "calibrated" example given...your elevator is set to zero/zero...calibrate level to one elevator...move the level to the other...should read zero/zero...make sense?

But mine has a somewhat lengthy calibration that does not require a level surface. With mine you cal it in one position, rotate it 180*, cal again, then flip it over, cal again, and then rotate another 180* and cal again. The level then averages all 4 readings and wallah, it's calibrated.

But doesn't that require a "known level surface" to establish the calibration to pure level? Otherwise your working with a four axis average. Right..heck I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Ahhhh....I should THINK before I post!

I hadn't really though about what the flipping it over and rotating it 180 degrees was doing. Of course that's how it works. Simple algebra. Lost on me sometimes....:eek:

Roger

Nope!

But doesn't that require a "known level surface" to establish the calibration to pure level? Oterhwise your working with a four axis average. Right..heck I'm guessing.
If the surface is say 1* off, when you rotate the level 180* and cal the second time, it can see the difference and compensate for it. Then when you flip it over on the same surface, it can again see the difference. Once you have done two directions upright and two directions inverted, it can average them out and now it is accurate.
My neighbor bought one at an auction without instructions. We calibrated it using my instructions and it came out perfect.

Back