What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smart battery

Just an update, ordered one of these for start. No good, it will run everything fine until the starter is engaged. starter clicks and prop moves a hair then goes to open circuit :eek: and then resets when all current is removed. Only thing I can think of is it is thinking it is a direct short and opens up for protection. it will make a good backup battery for stuff. Just ordered the EarthX ETX 900.

Did you contact the mfg and ask why it drops out when you use the starter??

It shouldn't do that......perhaps the battery is defective?

Which one did you get? They are only about 10C peak discharge for 5 seconds. May not be enough to crank the engine unless you get a 40AH or higher capacity one.

The starter might draw more than 200 amps for a few millseconds when first engaged before the engine starts turning. The battery has instant Automatic Short Circuit Protection.

The other problem is the max charge current. It's only 20A on that battery and your alternator can put out 60. It will probably also shut down when being charged at a higher current than 20A.

its coming out, I have a PP certified 70 amp alt so I ordered the ETX 900 today.

.......... and yes, a lead acid battery works fine to start and run, but, that is so 1950s :cool

So, (he sez tongue-in-cheek..) What's wrong with the 1950's? Rock and Roll was born, and I was a teenager! Them wuz some purdy good years, in my book!!

PS: threw the book away a LONG time ago, to avoid complications.........

Last edited:
Got the new ETX 900 on the firewall so this is the new 20 AH (backup) battery, secured to .125 T6 plate and secured with 7 screws. I was going to use a smaller BU battery on the firewall but there is no more space out there....

20160814_152824_zpsgw9hhxyi.jpg

Back