What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small opinion poll on the V10 functionality

Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
The V10 radio incorprates a dual scan function.
Using two V10 radios it is possible to set them up so they become a redunant dual watch system.

In practise, it turns out that the dual scan works better than expected, making the dual watch somewhat unnecessary.

Due to this, I am considering removing the dual watch from the system in order to simplify setup and cut a few pages from the manual.

Before I do this, I would like to learn of your opinion if you have one.

To recap:
Dual watch uses two receivers, dual scan uses a single receiver so if you are listening to the standby channel, there are very short breaks in the reception while the radio quickly scans the main channel to see if anything is happening there.
Due to the fully digital nature of the frequency generation system the breaks are extremely short and audibility of the reception is not affected and the breaks sound more like a regular "click" - this has proven to be useful as you know that you are listening to the standby channel without looking at the radio (this has prompted the thought of removing dual watch completely).

Your opinion is greatly respected and will be taken into account.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Sounds like "Have-Quick," the (probably archaic now) military system. Pop-pop-poppop-pop-pop...

Personally, if I had a radio capable of primary/standby frequency reception I would far prefer to have a secondary receiver with a mute circuit in the event of reception on primary. That way there is never any possibility of losing the first syllable of primary transmission, and the "less important" signal is never given "equal footing" with primary.

That probably isn't what you wanted to hear...

:D

Sounds like "Have-Quick," the (probably archaic now) military system. Pop-pop-poppop-pop-pop...

Personally, if I had a radio capable of primary/standby frequency reception I would far prefer to have a secondary receiver with a mute circuit in the event of reception on primary. That way there is never any possibility of losing the first syllable of primary transmission, and the "less important" signal is never given "equal footing" with primary.

That probably isn't what you wanted to hear...

:D

Yes you are correct.
However this is now based on practical experience with the V10. The scanning is quite fast and we found no issue with the "missing sylable" problem (the switch to main is based on carrier detect, not modulation).
This is the reason why I am considering removing the dual watch functionality - based on my own and users experiences, it appears somewhat unnecessary and due to this, if you have two V10 radios anyway, it makes more sense to use them as two independent radios either via an audio panel or one radio wired to the others auxiliary input (effectively giving you two scanning radios with a total of 4 frequencies scanned in priority order - or you could still use it as a dual watch that way if you wanted).

This is also the reason I decided to pop the question on various lists - I'd like to make the right decision.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

The only disadvantage I can think of with your approach rather than the one I suggested is this: Sometimes you WANT to hear "both conversations," and good pilots can filter out the primary (if it is not directed at them) and pay attention to the attenuated secondary. Ideally you would be able to set the amount of attenuation to your preference.

How often does that situation happen and how important is it? Probably an edge case. I manage software development, too - and requests from the business folks rated as "nice to have" are only implemented on the second Tuesday of each week...

;)

I wonder if the clicks would become annoying after a while? Plus the dual watch would give one extra feature that competitors don't have so I vote to keep it.

Here's the setup I want:

Comm 1 is used for 2-way communication with ATC. Active frequency is the current controller, standby frequency is the next sector. I toggle between them at the handoff, but I typically don't need to monitor the standby.

Comm 2 is there for backup to Comm 1, but in practice mainly used for picking up ATIS or other weather broadcasts. In that role I want to be able to monitor Comm 2, with instant override from Comm 1.

I'm not 100% sure from your explanation, but I think I'd need your dual watch for that, so I vote that you keep it.

--Paul

I agree with you Rainier, if the dual scan works that well. I would say that the feature makes operating on one radio appealing to the fly low $$ and fly light crowd, so save the time and $$. For those who might want to attempt to listen to two different conversations at the same time ( very very rare I would say) they will probably buy two radios and an audio panel anyway.

Last edited:
my set up

I am not yet flying yet but this is what I have from experience in my last airplane. I have the Garmin 430 and the V 10 and plan to use both especially in IFR flights. One for pre-set frequencies and the other for active frequencies.

Back