What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sloped side consoles and throttle re-position

BuckWynd

Well Known Member
Has anyone here fabricated "sloped" side instrument consoles for their RV-8 (the kind like Lyle Hefel and others are known for building), and if so, can you provide some photos of the throttle mount arrangement?

To build a sloped console on the left side, it looks like the throttle will have to be moved back about 4", and inboard of the vertical channel cap. I've been scratching my head about how best to do this. What I'm really looking for is some guidance and photos that show how to actually mount the quadrant there.

Also, are there any resulting "gotchas" with the routing of the engine control cables?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I've got some photos (of other peoples planes) I took at LOE last year. Here's one:
102826987-L.jpg

Here's a link to some more: http://speed3guy.smugmug.com/gallery/2010437#102826987

There are several pages of photos, so you'll have to flip through them.

I moved my throttle quadrant inboard about 1 1/4" using all the same parts that came in the kit except the top piece. I made a new top plate using the original one as a template and just making it 1 1/4" wider where it attached to the angle on the forward side skin. The aft attach point is on the face of the 804 bulkhead cap like the switch console on the other side (which I also made wider..) I had to cut off the original throttle quadrant side mount where the bolts would go and rivet on a piece that bends aft instead of outboard so that it is flush with the 804 cap. This gives me more room for a comfortable 'handle' on the throttle, clearing the 804 with my wrist. Next will be a fold down arm rest on my seat back so I have somewhere to put my elbows. The existing 'armrests' are useless as arm rests.

Back