What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sliding canopy step by step

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a link to a good step by step sliding canopy instructions for an RV6, 7 or 9? I'm progressing along OK but questions have come up along the way. I was wondering if anyone found a nice set of instructions that they had good luck following.

sikaflex option

If you are considering a bonded canopy, this thread is one of the first definitive descriptions of the process, which I followed when I did mine a few years ago. Note that the first link to photos is broken. There is a new link on the third page that still works.

Thank you!

My VAF searches didn't turn up the links you have supplied so thank you all for your responses. It would be nice if Van's would rework the instructions but maybe this thread will help future builders until they do.

Thanks again

Follow Matt's site noted above. I was working on my canopy about a month behind Matt and perfectly made the same mistakes he did! :D Just kidding. It turned out great. I'm still waiting for him to do his windscreen so that I can get started on mine!

I used the VHS tapes made by the Orndorfs

George and Becki Orndorf lived in the Fort Worth, TX area I think in 1996 when I started our RV-6A. Ours was one of the first quickbuild kits (still took 8 years to complete with my work and daily 4 hr commute) but they had VHS tapes for building one. The detail that George went into with the sliding canopy was exactly what was needed for the inexperienced builder taking on this major task. I had no problem with the canopy at all after watching him do the work and describing what he was doing and why he was doing it. I loved the VHS tape because of its inherent place holding feature. I do not know if they are still in business but their VHS video was invaluable to me.

I have read comments in this forum about the fitting of the metal skirts and the fiberglass work on the windscreen that George covered in such clear detail that these were non-issues for me.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back